Gassifier storage charging temps made simple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBP

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
SW Maine
A regular contributor here from Sweden, Hansson, recently posted this website. Simple schematic and easy to "see" what's happening. All the essential temps are there in real time. Of course, when you see something like this that's so easy to understand it makes you want to know more of the details of his system.

www.elstyrteknik.se/pannrum/

I love the graphic - I'll have to do that myself. If you haven't followed the 'voyeur' link in my signature, that gives you a customizeable graph of the past two hours any time you click on it. I built a fire last Saturday, so storage still has some heat.

This link gives you a real-time snapshot of all system temperatures, inputs, and outputs.

I'm hoping more people eventually have systems like this - you can learn a lot.

I see that most people have top, middle and bottom temps for their tanks....what exactly do you use to measure these temps....some sort of stick on thermometers or sensors or is it more involved that that?

i use a ranco etc controller for my top and middle temps with a inline gauge for my bottom/return temp. i use the middle sensor to control the three way zone valve to isolate the tanks from the wood boiler.

Is the Ranco etc controller like an aquastat with a digital temp display?

I'm not trying to be rude but some of you guys speak another language. I'm so unknowing I have to ask why would you want to have a middle temp reading? I mean obviously you are striving for stratification but why is it important to know what the middle temp is doing? What do you do with that information? Mny thanks up front...Cave2k

Cave2k said:
I'm not trying to be rude but some of you guys speak another language. I'm so unknowing I have to ask why would you want to have a middle temp reading? I mean obviously you are striving for stratification but why is it important to know what the middle temp is doing? What do you do with that information? Mny thanks up front...Cave2k

To answer an earlier question, I have a 3/8" soft copper well that goes in at the top of one side and curves down to the bottom. I slid little bitty sensors into it.

Cave Man: One of the things I need to know is at least a rough approximation of how much heat I have available in storage. With only top and bottom sensors and assuming good stratification, I couldn't tell the difference between almost fully charged and almost fully discharged, The middle sensor at least gives me a clue where the thermocline is, I'd really like to have more sensors.

How important is it to have sensors *in* the tank. Can you get close to what you need by having sensors on the outside of the tank, firmly attached to the steel, and well insulated? Haven't figured out how to get a 3+ foot long sensor into the bottom of a pressurized propane tank.

MrEd said:
How important is it to have sensors *in* the tank. Can you get close to what you need by having sensors on the outside of the tank, firmly attached to the steel, and well insulated? Haven't figured out how to get a 3+ foot long sensor into the bottom of a pressurized propane tank.

As long as the whole thing is well insulated I think you'd be fine.

nofossil said:
Cave2k said:

To answer an earlier question, I have a 3/8" soft copper well that goes in at the top of one side and curves down to the bottom. I slid little bitty sensors into it.

Cave Man: One of the things I need to know is at least a rough approximation of how much heat I have available in storage. With only top and bottom sensors and assuming good stratification, I couldn't tell the difference between almost fully charged and almost fully discharged, The middle sensor at least gives me a clue where the thermocline is, I'd really like to have more sensors.

Aha. Mystery solved! Thanks Nofossil!

chuck172 said:
Is the Ranco etc controller like an aquastat with a digital temp display?
yes its just more accurate than a honeywell and you can adust your differential down to one degree. there also cheaper with a replaceable sensor that can be placed 400 feet from the controller. i use one of these to open my three zone valve making my tanks my dump zone. the contoller is in basement and the temp sensor is on my boiler 300 feet away.

Status
Not open for further replies.