Gear score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
So I had to go renew the registrations on the vehicles today and since it is near a couple saw shops and pawn shops I decided I would go window shopping. I have a Craftsman that I truly haven't had too many problems with, it just is a little underpowered for some tasks and Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a Stihl soon...

Anyway as I pull into the pawn shop lot there's a guy unloading 2 Stihl saws from the back of his truck. I asked if he was gonna sell them or pawn them (now I feel like Cory from Pawn Stars) and he says he needs the cash and is gonna sell them. He told me his lawn care business just went under and he had sold most everything else but these and a leaf blower. I looked them over real quick and told him I'd give him $200 for both the saws if they ran. I figured he'd say no way but thats what I had in my pocket at the time.

To my surprise he took it. So I am now the owner of an MS290 and and MS260. Both run very well. Couple of cracks in the plastic on the 290 but the 260 is in very good condition. He also gave me the blower since he said $200 was what he was expecting to get from everything.

P1070348.JPG

Definitely gonna sell the blower as I already have a backpack blower. Don't know if I'll keep both saws or not.

Wow... Were you wearing a mask?

Cause you robbed him ;).... Nice

Sell the 290 and you just got a free 260. Might even be able to do better than that. Used MS290's sell very well.

Reactions: HittinSteel
Wow, you suck! Really nice score there. Like MM said sell the 290 and walk away with a free 260. Use the blower money for a free lunch date with the Mrs. Onion.

That's awesome.With that kind of luck I hope you bought a few LOTTO tickets for the next drawing.>>

Nice score.
Right place at the Right time ;)
A fun trip to DMV , that's one for the books :) LOL :)

Moral of the story: hang around pawn shop parking lots with some cash in your pocket.

Reactions: ScotO
I'd keep the blower, too. Handy for getting into gardens and behind bushes, where the backpack is combersome. I actually don't even use a backpack anymore... just a handheld and my Little Wonder walk-behind.

heckuva score dude - those 2 saws are really gonna tie the room together.

Reactions: onion
Wow.
What more can be said?

Well, after I told my dad about this he claimed the blower :). Said I owed him for 18 years of room and board or some such nonsense. I'm actually leaning towards keeping both saws. Don't know why. I think I'll give the Craftsman away though.

Well, after I told my dad about this he claimed the blower :). Said I owed him for 18 years of room and board or some such nonsense. I'm actually leaning towards keeping both saws. Don't know why. I think I'll give the Craftsman away though.

good move keeping them both if you ask me.

Good Job.

good move keeping them both if you ask me.

Good Job.

I agree... The more saws, the better'er :)

Heck, anyway you worked it, would have been good. Keeping them all, selling one, two, or giving one or two away... As long as you kept the 260, its all good! ;)

But keeping both is what I would do :)

Did you pull his pants down before the deal or........LOL! Just kiddin, Onion. That's a fantastic deal IMHO. Heck that is around 600 dollars worth of equipment (used prices), I think you made out like a bandit!

Where abouts are you in ohio??

Outside Cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.