general overall attitude towards pellet stoves these days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if you are asking for comments or giving one based on your emoticon (smiley face). Here's my comment. Pellet stoves are a great way of saving money. That being said, The need for qualified techs is not being met and the quality of pellets is still a big issue. Also, I am seeing more posts about bad installations by dealers who don't back what they sell with a good installation or good service. I believe that this may be the result of cost cutting by some businesses who are more interested the bottom line than a happy customer.

I am very satisfied with my stoves but my satisfaction is the result of self education of the ins and outs of owning and maintaining a stove. If the industry had a set up like the oil and gas furnace industry, where you could buy pellets at a locked in pre buy price and get a service plan that would be a hedge against break downs, I think you would see pellet stoves go to the next level in customer satisfaction. Dealers would demand stoves and pellets that would cause fewer problems. They would train their techs so that there would be fewer service calls and so on. I don't know if government regulation would be a result of these changes; I would hope not. But we all know that Big Brother is always out there looking for ways to pick our pockets.

Reactions: Owen1508
I don't know if you are asking for comments or giving one based on your emoticon (smiley face). Here's my comment. Pellet stoves are a great way of saving money. That being said, The need for qualified techs is not being met and the quality of pellets is still a big issue. Also, I am seeing more posts about bad installations by dealers who don't back what they sell with a good installation or good service. I believe that this may be the result of cost cutting by some businesses who are more interested the bottom line than a happy customer.

I am very satisfied with my stoves but my satisfaction is the result of self education of the ins and outs of owning and maintaining a stove. If the industry had a set up like the oil and gas furnace industry, where you could buy pellets at a locked in pre buy price and get a service plan that would be a hedge against break downs, I think you would see pellet stoves go to the next level in customer satisfaction. Dealers would demand stoves and pellets that would cause fewer problems. They would train their techs so that there would be fewer service calls and so on. I don't know if government regulation would be a result of these changes; I would hope not. But we all know that Big Brother is always out there looking for ways to pick our pockets.
I couldn't agree more about the quality of dealers/technicians. This is my first year owning a pellet stove and my gut feel is that more training should be provided by the manufacturers to the technicians. If I were a young man looking for a good career, I would try to get factory training from the biggest manufacturers and start my own repair business. No doubt in my mind that the future will include many more wood burning, coal, and pellet stoves - oil and propane will dwindle in supply and gas is not available to many rural customers.

If they can't get propain delivered, attitudes will change. With the propain price hitting a state record high last week and its -21 this AM .

I believe that pellet stoves will continue to be a niche market for the reasons mentioned above UNTIL the established HVAC dealers in towns are taught about the virtues AND limitations of pellet stoves and THEY begin to stock, install, and service them. For as many questions as are asked on this forum and others, it is or should be very obvious that pellet stoves would be a lucrative service branch for the HVAC dealers, if they only took the time to learn about them. It's staring them right in the face and they don't see it. Why pellet stoves haven't moved mainstream yet is beyond me.
Since some pellet stove manufacturers have also recognized the virtues of coal (my pet peive), it makes equal sense that these same dealers in areas where coal is reasonably priced should learn about and sell coal stoves. Remember that coal has about 60% MORE energy per pound than pellets and eventually (3 more years) it will again be embrassed as a viable source of heat. To ignore MODERN coal stove technology which offers similar sized units that put out 2 to 3 times more btu's is insane IMHO.
So I would suggest to all stove manufacturers to strongly try to get HVAC dealers on board as installers and service people. That is the future for pellets.

Its a space heater that needs maintaining.

Just a passing fad. Will never last.

Personally i'm ok with it being and staying a niche market. Once the big guys get in, then it will all go down hill and costs will rise. I'm not interested in my local HVAC dealer (who also sells oil) to be my pellet guy. I'd rather what I pay for pellets stay within the local community and not line the pockets of big industry.

I agree, while it's selfish thinking, I love that there's crappy dealers, bad techs, people who are essentially too lazy to lift a 40# bag of pellets, and those same people thinking cleaning a pellet stove every month is too much work. Keep paying that oil/propain company. They need the $$$$

I say make pellet bags 60 pounders. Weed out a few more ;)

I couldn't agree more. I get comments from friends. That say how was cleaning your stove with a smile.that was because my previous stove was full of problems. Now with my haram I say how I do it and don't get the sarcastic smiles.Call me paranoid but I like are community small.if it becomes big then you have pellet prices being raised then are friendly government start to tax them.also as far as techs. The first stove I had the guy was like a robot getting annoyed at the questions I asked. The tech who installed my harman had a real passion for what he does and answered all my questions and more .JMO

Its a space heater that needs maintaining.
From fires on the floor of a cave to a pellet furnace or the most advanced heat pump or solar collector, they all heat spaces. They all need maintaining too, from the stick on the campfire to the batteries on a solar collector.

Reactions: EastMtn
Personally i'm ok with it being and staying a niche market. Once the big guys get in, then it will all go down hill and costs will rise. I'm not interested in my local HVAC dealer (who also sells oil) to be my pellet guy. I'd rather what I pay for pellets stay within the local community and not line the pockets of big industry.
Competition is a good thing, in quality of training and service and in goods or materials. The consumer wins and the supplier will have to keep up to stay afloat. There will always be unfavorable aspects of this process, but it's not a perfect world. There is no such thing as "local" in economics or politics. We all rely on global conditions.

Very interesting tread.

My 2 cents:
As long as we don't have pellet stoves out there that can mechanically clean the burn pot for optimum burn efficiency and that have some sort of "technology" on board that squeezes the most energy out of the burning pellets it can not be considered a serious heating appliance and in my humble opinion it just is a very inefficient space heater.
Look at the combustion technology in a pellet stove. Basically 10-15-20 years old.
On a positive note, the Europeans are not doing a better job with their pellet stoves.
Their pellet boilers are top notch and improvements are continuously made.

Hopefully the new EPA requirements will clean house, like it did for the wood stoves many years ago

All I know for the little work I have to do Im savingBIG and thats fine by me as with buying ANYTHING one must do their homework and decide which way to go ! For me my second Stove purchase was easy after my 1st harman NEVER broke down in 6 seasons ! pellets well one year its one brand the next may not be the same ! All in all Im a Happy Camper !I have rental Apartments and wish I could put a pelllet boiler in there but will settle for Natural Gas which over Oil is a Huge savings Oil Dealers are a dying breed if you ask me Ill never be able to understand how in the coldest of winter they came raise the price of a gallon by better than 25 cents they deserve what they get no more Business from me or you !

Great thread. Eyes wide open with a pellet stove, as there is very little attention to service in this industry. Lot's of promises and over-selling, very few returned calls when you need someone.

You will save a substantial amount of money heating with pellets as opposed to oil or propane, but the service pales in comparison.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
I believe that pellet stoves will continue to be a niche market for the reasons mentioned above UNTIL the established HVAC dealers in towns are taught about the virtues AND limitations of pellet stoves and THEY begin to stock, install, and service them. For as many questions as are asked on this forum and others, it is or should be very obvious that pellet stoves would be a lucrative service branch for the HVAC dealers, if they only took the time to learn about them. It's staring them right in the face and they don't see it. Why pellet stoves haven't moved mainstream yet is beyond me.
Since some pellet stove manufacturers have also recognized the virtues of coal (my pet peive), it makes equal sense that these same dealers in areas where coal is reasonably priced should learn about and sell coal stoves. Remember that coal has about 60% MORE energy per pound than pellets and eventually (3 more years) it will again be embrassed as a viable source of heat. To ignore MODERN coal stove technology which offers similar sized units that put out 2 to 3 times more btu's is insane IMHO.
So I would suggest to all stove manufacturers to strongly try to get HVAC dealers on board as installers and service people. That is the future for pellets.
Pellet stoves will never be mainstream because there is too much daily feeding and maintenance involved. Sure we few owners don`t mind but we are a minority .
Also pellet stoves are space heaters and they suck at heating a house evenly.
There`s nothing easier and safer ,or more efficient , comfortable , and quiet than a central heating system.

Pellet stoves will never be mainstream because there is too much daily feeding and maintenance involved. Sure we few owners don`t mind but we are a minority .
Also pellet stoves are space heaters and they suck at heating a house evenly.
There`s nothing easier and safer ,or more efficient , comfortable , and quiet than a central heating system.
They may never and probably never should be your main source of heat; however, that by no means should bar them from being 'mainstream'. They can be used to supplement the main heat source such as a heat pump in extremely cold conditions (my scenario). Heating contractors sell wood burning inserts for many new construction houses as well as refurbs so why not have them sell pellet stoves and give the service that is so badly lacking by many present sellers (not the ones here, though :) )
Sure, keep it local as someone said but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't get better, faster, more knowledgeable service. I live in a group of very small towns and there are a LOT of HVAC guys available to call NOW if my heat pumps go belly up. But if I want service on my pellet stove, the closest guy is 60 miles of mountain roads away! I knew that going into the endeavor so I did my research and felt comfortable learning to do my own maintenance, which is dirt simple!

Very interesting tread.

My 2 cents:
As long as we don't have pellet stoves out there that can mechanically clean the burn pot for optimum burn efficiency and that have some sort of "technology" on board that squeezes the most energy out of the burning pellets it can not be considered a serious heating appliance and in my humble opinion it just is a very inefficient space heater.
Look at the combustion technology in a pellet stove. Basically 10-15-20 years old.
On a positive note, the Europeans are not doing a better job with their pellet stoves.

Hopefully the new EPA requirements will clean house, like it did for the wood stoves many years ago

Bixby's do that but unfortunately the owner screwed everyone but himself!

Love the burning.
If we don't develop an iphone app for filling and cleaning these things may die out for the next genaration

Reactions: jdinny
We love our P43.
We bought it as a supplement to our high efficiency condensate boiler, and are happily surprised that it takes care of the whole house, with the exception of my 90yo mom's room, and our son's room. We built the house in '09 so it is super insulated, but still, I never expected this.
It sure beats the devil out of cutting, splitting, and stacking wood. At 60 yo, I've had enough of that!
The bags could be 60# or 100#, we still love it :)

Very interesting tread.

My 2 cents:

You sell pellet furnaces and heaters but do you own one? You have an interesting attitude for someone who sells pellet devices:rolleyes:.

Reactions: Jacques909
Very interesting tread.

My 2 cents:

Au contraire, I beg to differ. The Paromax line of pellet stoves, with the ash management system, and the Italian-made stoves, are what the new EPA ratings about to come online are all about. With gasification, these stoves are what other companies may have to look to, to comply with the new stove ratings down the road. Uncle Sam may not tell you that your stove is old-school, but your insurance company has the higher power, I believe.

Attachments

• 20131117_202611.jpg
    20131117_202611.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 20131117_202628.jpg
    20131117_202628.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 284
My emoticon lacked any expression and slightly aggrivated. I'm tired. Some of you who may have their own biz...or any teacher with 23 kids can relate....how many questions can you field in a day, in an hour, in a minute, in a second...and every day, every hour ,every minute, every second its the same one over and over and over again. My pellet stove is doing this, or doing that or not doing this but it never did that and why is doing this or that but not this.....I go home everyday completely exhausted. Seriously man....what's wrong with people....? THEY ARE SPACE HEATERS not MIRACLE WORKERS and they ain't the answer to not using the TSTAT. "I aint got no other heat", "Everyday you can't get here is one more day I'm spending money I shouldn't be" Seriously, this is what I deal with every day times 200.:mad:

I'm failing the entire world and industry because I stayed home an extra 15 minutes to put my kid on the buss or go home early to plow the driveway so my wife could get out and go grocery shopping. Yes, I'm talking about you the guy who's 26 year old stove you bought on CL for $350 that stopped working this afternoon and it's going to be minus 200 degrees tonight and your kids are sleeping at you mothers because I'm the jerk.

Thanks guys! I feel better now!

Au contraire, I beg to differ. The Paromax line of pellet stoves, with the ash management system, and the Italian-made stoves, are what the new EPA ratings about to come online are all about. With gasification, these stoves are what other companies may have to look to, to comply with the new stove ratings down the road. Uncle Sam may not tell you that your stove is old-school, but your insurance company has the higher power, I believe.
yeah, your gas-a-ma-blender stove is still a stove that most people cannot wrap their minds around how to use properly so the efficiency that thing is capable of diminishes by 30% or more pretty quick. I saw that stove when it was Dell-Point and when it was the Europa 75. No big changes...most of the people who have them have absolutely no idea cause it came with their house when the bought it...no parts for it. No service for it. Claude cannot even figure out a way to accept PayPal without it taking 15 phone calls and 3 weeks of back and forth....just sayin.

oh, and those Italian jobbers...most of them are made in China, imported to Italy then marked up huge to sell to us. Seriously though...in this thread, I may just say something bad about every single manufacturer. Thread of the pissed off reviews! Anyone care to have me rant some more?

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
Status
Not open for further replies.