Generating power with a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
He should build a steam engine and hook it to a salvaged alternator. Not everything can be solved through the use of a semiconductor, but there is a generation that hasn't figured that out yet. ;)

Reactions: woodgeek
Tho not having moving parts for a system that is emergency use only, or fatt off grid, is useful too. No seizing, no lubrication, and no noise

Carnot figured out the absolute limits for thermal "engines" long time ago and they are not great for a home boiler/steam engine/turbine combination. There have been many attempts at integrating Sterling Cycle generators into wood stove/boilers but I am not aware or any commercial units available. The Sterling cycle is heat engine is also constrained by the Carnot limits as is any steam engine/turbine combination. Dean Kamen claimed that he had a working design for Sterling Cycle engine years ago and at one point had one at his home that could generate power but it never went anywhere, https://www.forbes.com/sites/christ...engine-could-power-the-world/?sh=14359e3e3b2e

He has moved onto 3D printing of human organs.

Maine Energy Systems a pellet boiler company was advertising a commercial pellet boilers with an optional generator a few years ago but it is no longer on their website. I think the concept is still around https://www.microgen-engine.com/news-information/news/first-eu-303-5-certified-woodlog-mchp/

Lots of folks have tried the Peltier Effect devices but due to low efficiency they are more of curiosity. There was a firm in Iceland selling them for wood stoves in remote hunting camps as they typically had a nearby cold source to cool the panels.

Lots of material science research to make new materials with higher Peltier efficiency. Some might play out next week, or it could be a loooong time.

Tho not having moving parts for a system that is emergency use only, or fatt off grid, is useful too. No seizing, no lubrication, and no noise
I was just joking - well kinda anyway. I bet an hour of a spinning 100 amp alternator would produce more power in an hour than these things would make in a year. It would be cool if my furnace could light its own room and the tomato plants snuggled with it, but since I have grid power, it makes sense to just use that now that we have LEDs.

I was just joking - well kinda anyway. I bet an hour of a spinning 100 amp alternator would produce more power in an hour than these things would make in a year. It would be cool if my furnace could light its own room and the tomato plants snuggled with it, but since I have grid power, it makes sense to just use that now that we have LEDs.
absolutely true.

Though I have to say I kind of like the Peltier system - even if only for having a light or two if need be. (Say a cabin.)

It's not "power", it's a lamp.