Generator deal today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That must be one hell of a pump to require that much startup current. Sounds like it may be time to clean/lubricate or rebuild that motor.

That must be one hell of a pump to require that much startup current. Sounds like it may be time to clean/lubricate or rebuild that motor.

Agreed. I have a 7.5k Generac and it runs my well pump and fridge and lights and entertainment center just fine when we have power outages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have a 7.5k Generac and it runs my well pump and fridge and lights and entertainment center just fine when we have power outages.

As does my Generac 7550. It sags bad when the well pump starts though.

As does my Generac 7550. It sags bad when the well pump starts though.

Mine bogs a bit for about 10 seconds and that's it. Certainly doesn't die out or burn anything out though.

Mine bogs a bit for about 10 seconds and that's it. Certainly doesn't die out or burn anything out though.

Yep. Just the startup surge. If I ever have to replace the pump, knock on wood, I'd look into a soft start pump.

I would hate to get it home and find it doesn't run the well pump (my situation).

The Honda EU7000is does our 7hp well pump ( @ 145' ) with NO problems with surges. Roll it out of the doghouse, plug in to the transfer switch box, press the start, switch from line to gen on the circuits, power to the Patriots.
Now: the fuel is 'stabilized', the Honda is started at least 1X/month year round, and filter and oil checked.
We lost power 3X in the past week with gales and below zero temps. The Honda started without complaint @ - 6 ::F after sitting all night.
For that reliability it is worth the $$$$.

P.S. Velvet may have a problem with his well pump if a 7K gen can't start it. May be old ( L.E. around 15-20 years ), debris in the lines, pump could be slowed by low water level, electrical connections, etc....

My only complaint is Honda "customer service" in Georgia, non existent when told to "call the dealer".
The dealer recommended to call Honda ! All I wanted was to get their specs on the wheels. The wheels !:mad:

P.S. Velvet may have a problem with his well pump if a 7K gen can't start it. May be old ( L.E. around 15-20 years ), debris in the lines, pump could be slowed by low water level, electrical connections, etc...
I did not say that my 7.5k gen can't start it. I said I had to buy a 7.5k unit because the 5k generator I had bogged down and stopped-scary.

A 7 hp motor is pretty big. My well is 400' deep and I don't know anything about the pump/motor.

Oh yeah if its 7hp motor that makes sense that's a big motor. A single phase motor that size will draw lots of pixies.

Gotta look at the gen output. A 7.5 K gen MAY not put out 7.5K or even close at max rpm.
One thing about the Honda 7K, the output is on target at surges and steady.
It's not a hard to check the output of your gen with a multimeter ( not a moisture meter :confused: ).
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

My diesel military generators keep me going. A touch different than these suitcase units with plastic internals... but when you need power, does it matter? Folks with lights on during outages are always better off than those without!

Status
Not open for further replies.