Generator - Inexpensive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Are these any good? the $100 +/- generators available on e-bay. 1000-1200 watt, 120vac + 12vdc, 2-cycle gas. Though it might make a good backup power source for the wood boiler.

If you really need to rely on it in an emergency and have somewhat frequent power outages I would get a small Honda generator instead. You want a four-stroke motor for something that will be running for hours. It will run much quieter and cleaner and I suspect the voltage will be better regulated. Twud be a bummer to buy a cheapy generator only to find it burns out the system electronics.

In the interest of full disclosure, the dealer I work for sells Honda Generators. I work on them. That being said, I agree with BeGreen. You really do get what you pay for, especially with generators.

I've already got a 5500w generator, not top of the line but powers everything fine. It's just a little overkill for my Tarm which takes only about 400w. But I agree you get what you pay for. Just looking for an inexpensive backup for the Tarm. Probably best to save the $100.

FWIW, I noticed local auto parts ad in the Sunday paper selling the same thing for $99. But if you already have a generator, skip the cheapy. Do you really need more toys to maintain? :)

Do you really need more toys to maintain?

Thanks for the reminder. A key goal for 2008 was to reduce consumption, focus on needs not wants. I've been doing pretty good but need to get better. Your comment is especially helpful.

"You really do get what you pay for"

This statement has always bothered me. If it were true then I could sell you a 100$ generator for 1000$ and you would think you were getting something better? It's one thing to say that in the case of the Honda EUi series that the increased cost really does get you a better X,Y,Z but quite another to say that a man should just pay more money and will get more generator.

Running the 5500 watt genset will suck up major amounts of gasoline for the very small 400 watt load. My 11HP genset uses no less than 1/2 gallon per hour which becomes an issue after a 5 day outage. A Honda 1000 or better yet 2000 watt inverter genset with the eco throttle will significantly reduce fuel consumption, be very quiet, make cleaner power, and be very handy for other tasks since you get a lot of power in a package that can be carried like a lunchbox. You might find that you can deep six the 5500.

If the power is out why not plug in some other stuff on the generator you have to make the gas consumption worthwhile. How often does the power go out anyway. No need for a second gen in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.