1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gerber Splitting Axe?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Shadow&Flame, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    Is the Gerber Splitting Axe a re-badged Fiskars? I saw one on sale and thought about
    buying it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Fiskars has been the parent company of Gerber for a couple decades now, and you will find some of the same Fiskars products with the Gerber name on them.

This company makes a variety of "splitting axes," so you have to make sure that you're getting the one you want.

Examples: Super Splitting Axe, Pro Splitting Axe, X25 Splitting Axe, X27 Splitting Axe
  3. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
  4. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    To be certain, that is not the original Super Splitting Axe (head shape is wrong), nor is it the X27 Splitting axe (handle too short). That leaves us with the X25 Splitting Axe or Pro Splitting Axe. The head in your link looks more like the Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe to me. See comparison pictures throughout this link: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80274/

IMO, you do NOT want the Pro Splitting Axe; You want one of the other three.
  5. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    TreePointer- Thanks for the input. Hard to tell just what it is...may just skip it,
    but the price isnt bad if its a decent splitter...
  6. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    The other three are the ones that everyone raves about. Their heads are over 4 lbs., but the Pro is over a pound less if I recall correctly.
  7. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    From what I can find...it looks like this is the one with the 3lbs head...
  8. mxjamie540

mxjamie540 Member

Loc:
    southern illinois
    The "Pro" Fiskars is 2.25 lbs. I have one and have no problem splitting most stuff with it. True, sometimes the 6lb maul is better......... but if you get some straight clean oak or the like, you sure can FLY with the Fiskars Pro!
  9. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I disagree
  10. holland_patrick

holland_patrick Member

Loc:
    Southington CT
    I have one of the pros also and it's very nice
  11. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I have the Pro too. Great for the easier splitting hardwoods. Less wear and tear on the body.
  12. CTYank

CTYank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW CT
    Substitute "some" or "many" for "everyone" and you have a true statement. M'self, 6+ lb is preferable, with long handle, non-chippy steel.
  13. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    The context was Fiskars splitting axes. Of the Fiskars splitting axes, the other three are are indeed the ones that everyone raves about. Of course there are a some who like the lighter weight Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe, but that never had anywhere close to the hype and rave reviews of the original Super Splitting Axe (and it's successors the X25 and X27). If Fiskars makes a 6+ lb. splitting axe, I never heard of it. Fiskars does make one with a longer 36" handle--the X27 Splitting Axe.
  14. trailmaker

trailmaker Member

Loc:
    Northern California
    I've got all four of those axes and I would rank the Pro Splitter as my second favorite, after the Super Splitter. I always like to use the lightest tool that can get the job done and often times that's the Pro Splitter with it's 2.25 pound head.

[​IMG]
  15. TreePointer

Loc:
    Western PA
    (Heh, now I'm quoting myself, LOL!) I think I see where some are taking exception to my earlier statement. I didn't mean to say that the Pro is not desirable to have. I have one and I like it for what it is--a very effective lightweight splitter. What I meant was that the Fiskars axe with all the hype is the SSA (or later X25 and X27), and if you are attempting to purchase the Fiskars "rockstar," then you don't want that Gerber axe (the Gerber version of the Fiskars Pro Spitting Axe).
  16. allhandsworking

allhandsworking Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NYC
    I own and like the super splitter and just logged off amazon! Can't wait to swing my x27. Never thought I would get excited about an axe! And I never thought that the super splitter could be improved! ( the short handle never felt natural ). I'm 6'
  17. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    +1
  18. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    I only carry one splitting tool with me each day into the woods. That's the tool I feel will nearly always get the job done onsite for me regardless of weight or wood conditions. Carrying an assortment of tools in my limited toolbox space, or making return trips for lighter/heavier/different splitting tools depending on conditions, is out of the question. So far, in many years of splitting firewood, I have found only one tool that gets the job done onsite almost every time day after day with the least amount of fuss. Now that Fiskars is finally offering a full size handle on their splitter, I am intrigued. If I ever find one available locally, I fully intend to purchase it and see what it will do for me.
  19. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Have you ever actually swung a Fiskars Pro-Splitter?

No?
  20. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    No. Never. Have never met anybody that has one so I could try it out. If that's the one with the short handle, I doubt if it would work very well for me in the woods and splitting on the ground anyway.
  21. allhandsworking

allhandsworking Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NYC
    The new x27 has a 36" handle! I just ordered one from Amazon under $50 shipped and tax. I may list my super splitter on craigslist or just keep it in the trunk!
  22. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Oh, ok.

That's what I thought.
  23. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for all the input guys...just went ahead and ordered me one. I was ordering
    some things from them anyway. Whats another axe in the pile gonna hurt...ha If
    I really like the way this one works, I will look into getting me a X27 soon...
  24. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    HAHA! You didn't have to think about it too hard, since that's what I've always said!