Geting ready to buy. DVC500 or a Magnafire series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blthomas

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2006
Culpeper, VA
Getting close to making my purchase $$$$ wise.

We both really liked the DVC500, seemed soooo easy to load the hopper and just empty the ash pan as needed. Looked like it could go for a few days when loaded and the ashes kept emptied.

The Magnafire series, I was looking at a Mark II or possibly Mark III.

The Magnafire would replace my fireplace, which would be removed, the wall rebuilt, and a new stainless chimney run through the chase for code.

How much does the stainless double wall go for?

What could I use to efficently move the warm air?

I fear that the Magnafire will super heat the basement, especially the family room.

The DVC would end up on the other end of the basement by the back door, where I could vent it outside through the wall.

I think the DVC may do a better job of heating the upstairs with it's location, it's heat would get to the stairs better.

Are there any small fan recommendations?

Here is my layout, I'm concerned the most about airflow for the magnafire. layout:

basementplan.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Blair

I do alot of business with a pressure treating plant in your town....nice folks.

The two units really arent the same animal. The DVC500 is history if the pwer goes out, and alot more money then the MarkIII, until you factor in the chimney. You can better regulate the temp with the DVC, its a stoker, whereas the MarkIII is a batch-fed unit, relying on draft. Ultimately, Im guessing the MarkIII plus the chimney you'll need will far exceed the cost of the DVC and the few fittings you'll need for it, so if power outages dont scare you, Id go for the DVC.

I researched this, and the DVC-500 won hands down, power issues notwithstanding. Its the cleaner of the two stoves, by far. My understanding is that there is very little dust released from the DVC, and it can be turned down (which is a huge benefit, as you use much less coal on the warmer days). Hell, its so clean you can just operate it upstairs, if you have room. It has a battery backup as an internal option for power outages. My advice is to talk to the people on the NEPA COAL FORUM, they are to coal as we are to wood.

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.