Getting a bit nippy here again....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Been basically idling the stove for a few days now, very little fuel consumption until today that is. Temps dropped off to the high 30's and it's windy and while the stove isn't running hard, it is mostly on high fire (t'stat calling for heat).

Guess winter isn't quite done yet, snow flurries tonight.

Pretty much the same here. Today and tomorrow was/will be extremely windy with gusts to 50 MPH. Temp is 27º, wind chill much lower. As a friend used to say: There's nothing like a wood fire to warm you up!

Same here. 23 Deg F out and have a small fire in the Harmy in the basement to keep the chill out. :)

AF0F3404-6C24-4C12-A7DC-7E223ECD718B.jpeg 9C56C1C6-6EE6-4E7E-9BDD-0DE553321781.jpeg 4BD52B4F-4200-4A92-924D-30167E1B61C4.jpeg 46407B4D-3D87-41AC-94AB-993427016FD7.jpeg

Last edited:
Right now 6:46 am it is -14::C and the real feel is -23::C
and the wind is gusting to 41K
Sorry sidecar to early to convert
Winter is still hanging on

Down here near Washington, DC, it's warmer than you guys are experiencing, but still much cooler than late last week. After several days of either not using the stove, or just a couple hours in the morning, I guess for a little bit I'll have the Harman on all day. Down to 18 bags, where I started the season with over 2 tons; so I either need to bring in some more bags, or shut it down when I run out.

Right now it's 79F in the living room, a couple of days back we hit 83F and simply had to shut the stove down - whew!

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Over 72, I get sweaty....lol Only used 2.5 tons of corn and 3/4 of a skid of pellets so far.. I should have 3 ton of corn and and 2 ton of pellets left for next winter. I'll stack it up in the back of the barn until next fall and most likely add to both quantities this fall.

Right now it's 79F in the living room, a couple of days back we hit 83F and simply had to shut the stove down - whew!
At 79 the A/C would be on and my stove would have been long-off
83 is pool weather here!!

At 79 the A/C would be on and my stove would have been long-off 83 is pool weather here!!

Understood! ;) Been spending a lot of time in t-shirts and shorts even in mid-winter, but need to change clothes just to go out to the mailbox! And the rest of the house is cooler, and the unheated basement even worse. At 51F for a while down there, I put up a repair stand in the living room so I can continue my antique bicycle restorations!

Reactions: johneh
+3c/37.4f here in Kananaskis Alberta....

20's at night 40's during the day here, stove programmed for 72 overnight and 73 during the day on room temp, it just does it thing and runs when it needs too, pellet use has definately dropped down though as I'm only filling the hopper once a week.

20's at night 40's during the day here, stove programmed for 72 overnight and 73 during the day on room temp, it just does it thing and runs when it needs too, pellet use has definately dropped down though as I'm only filling the hopper once a week.
Ours did for a while, but it's back up to pre January levels now. Pebble snow last night, still on the ground this morning. Glad I don't have to do a morning commute any more, bet it was interesting.

Yes, really! I don't miss the morning commutes, especially in bad weather! 6" of snow on the driveway? I just roll over, go back to sleep, and clear the driveway at my leisure, after a nice casual breakfast. And even better, I don't miss the agonizingly slow commute back home at 3 miles an hour with frequent stops while the snow piles up. Retirement certainly has its benefits .

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I’m nowhere near that milestone, but it’s nice living closer to work. For 17 years I drove 25-27 miles one way 5-6 days a week. Some really iffy winter roads too. Eventually I could afford a better house and location, Now I only have to go 9 miles one way down a much easier road.

This morning I saw the snowplow and noticed we got an inch or two. But it was extremely slick. Thankful for the shorter drive. I can even go home at lunch if I need to and be back in time.

I sit in the house and watch the local news and think to myself..... Keeping the bump shops in business.... Gotten better around here since the State of Michigan took the main road maintenance away from the local road commission, they were consistently terrible for years. Never did squat to the roads until about noon and by that time there were always a pile of wrecks. We have not only I 75 but US 23 cutting north and south.

If its a snow day I sit at the window drink my coffee
and go back to bed
It is rough being retired

Reactions: rich2500
Not quite that easy for me. I have to plow out the rental driveways so they can go to work so they can pay the rent....lol Least I have a nice climate controlled tractor to work in.

My responsibility ends at the end of the driveways, after that, they are on their own.

Attachments

• 100_0040 (1).JPG
    100_0040 (1).JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 87