Getting a Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpjohnny5

Oct 7, 2010
Southern CT
Some questions for you guys. New here and to wood stoves, were thinking of putting a Heritage in our new house. Just under 2000 square feet, I know the heritage is rated for 1900 but its a home built in 86 thats well insulated. Anyways its going to go in our living room which is wide open with cathedral ceilings 9 pitch, theres a very large hanging ceiling fan that put on reverse should push a good amount of heat to the upstairs which is an open loft. Heres my questions

1. Do the Heritages sell much under Suggested retail? Gonna call some dealers tommorow but I just want to have an idea before calling.

2. I researched and found out how I need to build the 1.2 R valued hearth which is going to be in a corner. I couldnt find the clearances for the stovepipe to combustables tho, I was planning on using single wall.

3. If i decided to build up the wall with tile does it need to be a certain R value as well, and does it have to go the entire length of stovepipe? I ask cause its going to be like 14 feet to get the cathedral ceiling and that would be quite a bit. Im looking in the NFPA 211 2010 but cant find much on that.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated, I know Im new here but not new to forums and hope to be around here for a looonngg time :)

Heritage is a good solid stove. If you've done any reading on these forums at all, then you've found you should have your wood supply already, and it should be properly seasoned...particularly for the Hearthstone stoves. They're wicked picky about having properly seasoned wood. If it ain't right, you're gonna have a hell of a time trying to keep a good fire going.

As to stovepipe clearances, I'm going to assume you're going to run straight up and out the top of the roof without any bends. Venting her straight up out of the stove, you should be fine and shouldn't need to tile any farther up than the hearth you're building, but don't trust anything you hear on the Internet. Consult with a reputable dealer/installer.

Finally - welcome. Lots of good folks here to help you out.

Oh yeah...gettin a stove for much under suggested retail....probably not gonna happen. With the government rebates, it being october and all, and the steady increase of interest in alternative eco-friendly fuels and all, well, getting a quality stove for a significant discount probably isn't gonna happen. But it never hurts to ask.

Yes ive heard that you need dry seasoned wood which I can get my hands on pretty quick through a friend once I get this project underway. I may have to do a 45 degree offest once I get close to the ceiling because Im very close to the peak of the roof. It would be offset away from the wall tho so that shouldn't be an issue. I was just wondering what is a NFPA 211 approved wall protectant. Is just tile enough on the walls?

From https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely (hey, wait...that's here on this site!!)

Although your newer stove may have reduced clearances to combustibles, the stove pipe (chimney connector) often is the limiting factor. Single wall chimney connector usually has a clearance of 18” from combustible walls. This limitation can often be overcome by the use of special double wall interior piping or stove pipe heat shields, either of which can reduce the pipe clearance to as little as 9”.

Wall protection is going to require a one inch air space, open at the bottom and top, to reduce clearances. That the stuff on the wall won't burn does not count. That the stuff behind it will burn does.

MPJohnny5 said:
Some questions for you guys. New here and to wood stoves, were thinking of putting a Heritage in our new house. Just under 2000 square feet, I know the heritage is rated for 1900 but its a home built in 86 thats well insulated. Anyways its going to go in our living room which is wide open with cathedral ceilings 9 pitch, theres a very large hanging ceiling fan that put on reverse should push a good amount of heat to the upstairs which is an open loft. Heres my questions

1. Do the Heritages sell much under Suggested retail? Gonna call some dealers tommorow but I just want to have an idea before calling.

Right now is a PERFECT time to buy a Heritage. Hearthstone is offering a $300 discount off the Heritage thru 30 November

2. I researched and found out how I need to build the 1.2 R valued hearth which is going to be in a corner. I couldnt find the clearances for the stovepipe to combustables tho, I was planning on using single wall.

18" minimum single wall clearance to combustibles

3. If i decided to build up the wall with tile does it need to be a certain R value as well, and does it have to go the entire length of stovepipe? I ask cause its going to be like 14 feet to get the cathedral ceiling and that would be quite a bit. Im looking in the NFPA 211 2010 but cant find much on that.

If you don't have 18" clearance from the connector pipe, the wall protection will have to go all the way up. If you have the clearance, the wall protection will have to go 36" above the top of the stove See NFPA 2.11 figure 12.6.2.1b...
The R-value varies, but you can put a piece of sheet metal 1" from the wall & get what you need , as long as it's 1" off the floor &
it extends 36" past either side of the stove

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated, I know Im new here but not new to forums and hope to be around here for a looonngg time :)

Just need a little more clarification on the hearth pad guys. I found a supplier for Micore 300 in 1/2 inch sheets. I have hardwood floors, can I go right on top of this and screw it down (or even better cut it out and go right on top of the subfloors? Then 1/2 Durarock but it cant be the new kind correct? And tile on top of that.

You don't have to have any protection on the wall at all so long as you meet your minimum clearances to combustibles. Behind my heritage is plain old sheetrock. All the way to the ceiling behind my vertical flue pipe. So wall protection is never required unless you create a problem. Using single wall pipe within 18" of the combustible wall is a self created problem. Using double wall pipe allows for a 6" clearance to combustibles and jives with the heritage's 7" minimum with optional stove heatshield from Hearthstone.

This stove can be very close to an unprotected wall.

Good job finding the micore. No reason at all that you couldn't put the micore directly on top of the hardwood.

Highbeam said:
You don't have to have any protection on the wall at all so long as you meet your minimum clearances to combustibles. Behind my heritage is plain old sheetrock. All the way to the ceiling behind my vertical flue pipe. So wall protection is never required unless you create a problem. Using single wall pipe within 18" of the combustible wall is a self created problem. Using double wall pipe allows for a 6" clearance to combustibles and jives with the heritage's 7" minimum with optional stove heatshield from Hearthstone.

This stove can be very close to an unprotected wall.

Good job finding the micore. No reason at all that you couldn't put the micore directly on top of the hardwood.

Ok thanks, yah its going in a corner and with 12 inch clearance at each corner of stove it gives me plenty of clearance for my 18 inches for single wall pipe. Ive read different things on the Du-rock that the new kind isnt good for a hearth, any other suggestions. With the 1/2inch of micore 300 i already have 1.03 R value I need to pick up another .20

Oh and i may tile up the wall anyways 2 feet above the stove just for looks even tho I have my clearances.

It kills me to hear that you are corner installing a heritage. You know that you will be bolting the side door shut right? That side door is a freaking wonderful feature. I don't even open the front door for weeks and weeks. It would be tough to go back to a normal front door stove after having been spoiled by a side door unit.

Not sure on this new durock. I believe I used two layers of wonderboard from HD which was equal to durock at the time. I used a big dead air space in my hearth to get the R-value.

Lots of ways to get your r value right, micore will be good, but you cant use it for a tile/stone/whatever base, it's just not strong enough. Without getting the nextgen battle/discussion/debate started again, I will point out that MY owners manual specifically stated that WonderBoard was OK, so that's what I used.

One of your first questions was if you were looking at a big enough stove.. I have the next smaller stove in a slightly larger house,(2100sqft, built in '96), in a slightly warmer climate, and it keeps more than warm enough in here. I will admit we had to run it a little hard when it was in the low teens and blowing out. A 4am reload was needed to keep the evil heat pump monster at bay. Giving up the sideload door is a bummer, but maybe can't be helped..

I see what you guys are saying about the side door. I uploaded a pic of where its going to be going with my template laid down 12 inches at each corner. If you notice the left side wall doesn't continue and should still give me enough room to be able to use the side door. Please check it out thanks guys

http://yfrog.com/2fphotopcj

You need, at a minimum, 16" of protection clear/area in front of any door. I would try for more (I have 20"), but I am just like that. If you can get that 16" and the door clears, which it looks like it should my guess is you can use it, but it will be cramped a bit.

EDIT:

After looking at you pictures again, it looks like if you brought your pad out so that it was even with the far side of the short wall there on the door side, you would be OK. I would seriously look at building the hearth down, removing some existing floor so that you will be flush.. would make getting in and out of the room next to the stove easier...

By the stove now and get a $300 discount. If not, Hearthstone normally runs a similar type sale every Jan/Feb. Suggested retail on the flat black is $2900 blue black $3200, enamel finishes $3250.

Status
Not open for further replies.