Getting a used wood stove for an existing fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steppinthrax

Jan 19, 2016
Maryland
I've lived in this house for roughly 5 years now. The existing fireplace and chimney is in good condition. The liner is a 12 x 12 square liner. The fireplace opening is roughly 35 x 32. The fireplace is in the basement and we are talking a medium size basement. I have a few questions.

1. I"m looking to get a wood stove. I want to place the stove in front of the fireplace and have a pipe going into the existing fireplace and up into the fireplace. Do I have to put in a stainless steel liner. The existing fireplace was barely used and the clay liner is in great condition. However it's a 12 x 12" and I was reading that the CSA (Cross sectional area) of the existing liner must be no more than 2.5 more than the flue on the new wood stove.

2. If I can use the existing clay liner do I just run a stove pipe a few feet up the existing fireplace?

3. Should I look at stove with a catalysts only.

3. I'm looking at a few stoves. I was told not to look too much into vermont castings since they have came down in quality. (see below)

http://smd.craigslist.org/for/5907705155.html : Consolidated Dutchwest, Federal Airtight (model FA224CCL) This looks like what I may need, I believe it contains a catalyst and the flue is large enough to work with my liner?

http://smd.craigslist.org/for/5850357690.html: Shenandoah/Sierra R77 woodstove / wood stove This looks huge as hell and may not be a good idea, I'm not sure if this is OK or not.

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/for/5914782029.html: Vermont Casting Intrepid Wood Stove This looks nice but needs lots of work. Whats the deal with these? I think it has no catalyst?

http://frederick.craigslist.org/for/5908045073.html: vermont castings Encore wood stove Another VC stove, it has some issues but it looks like it needs a catalyst, is it worth it?

I'll bite....

1. yes. You will need a liner.
2. see 1.
3. nope. But I love my cat stove.
3.1. VC has gone downhill in quality.

Personally I would keep looking. none of the ones you listed look great to me. You can get a decent new epa stove for 500-600 bucks.

Medium sized basement don't mean much. Are you heating the basement or heating upstairs from the basement? If the basement is not insulated you'll lose a lot of heat through the walls and will want as much fire power as you can get. It could still be a losing battle. Getting the heat upstairs depends on the layout.

If the chimney is an interior one that will be better but w/ 12x12" clay tile a liner is a must for a new stove. At least it should be easy to pass one down.

I own two Shenandoahs, you're likely not putting one of those monsters in a fireplace lol. They are huge and dirty burning beasts.
Also that one is kind of an oddity, I've never seen an R77 with a side exit flue.

Yes a liner all the way to top and insulated liner is best. If you still have a damper frame in firebox it can be cut to make more room for the liner too pass through. I have pics of the damper in mine after I cut it wide enough for a 8 inch liner. Also a block off plate is recommended as too stop all the heat from rising up and out of top.
WAenzGBYBfYyizaViwAbh1FusvuUR5ia-is30JYLMOlR9BYq_tTaoiayRkOz-YhqXsNr9aSqEWHhzPV9_pb=w640-h480-no.jpg m9TOR9jlCHhlpYaVlyG-F9H-V04m1Q_lCnSmfzHwS3BpsvY9qjLt_RNsSXbD6LIbVrylZj1ZJ4My08QM1s0=w851-h638-no.jpg RO-zEDtsEiEcIMEX_aty6CZNKVky5MzTlHxl-uTlJvO5vJNapdVWFObhtSKZW6YOmetfRBhJlAD94pBVxb3=w851-h638-no.jpg yi88aVPCFwJI3PX76EgZBmpsY3xYKpwgsVWqqxcAcNRjdpwB-4UR_DMcmSyej-9JngldsScrVwdToaJcjD5=w851-h638-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: burnt2perfection
Yes a liner all the way to top and insulated liner is best
What a great post, sometimes its hard for new members to understand what we mean, you backed it up with pics.

Yes a liner all the way to top and insulated liner is best. If you still have a damper frame in firebox it can be cut to make more room for the liner too pass through. I have pics of the damper in mine after I cut it wide enough for a 8 inch liner. Also a block off plate is recommended as too stop all the heat from rising up and out of top.
View attachment 190064
View attachment 190065
View attachment 190066
View attachment 190067

Thanks, I like the pics. A few questions, I notice you said you put in a 8" liner. Could I buy my liner now w/o my stove. Get the stove later. I know there seem to be two major liner sizes 6 and 8. Should I put the biggest liner (I imagine 8" round). Another question, why did you go for a defiant and how has it been treating you so far. Seems like lots of people don't talk that good with Vermont Castings.

The vast majority of stoves use a 6" liner. If I was putting one in for the future then I would use 6". The original VC stoves were great heaters, with nice castings and good looks. Unfortunately when VC tried to meet the original EPA regs they went to using a fragile refractory material that didn't stand up to 24/7 burning. Repairs got expensive and VC ownership kept changing hands so support at times was poor. All this tarnished what used to be a great brand. Now VC is under the ownership of a major brand. It remains to be seen how it will fare.

The vast majority of stoves use a 6" liner. If I was putting one in for the future then I would use 6". The original VC stoves were great heaters, with nice castings and good looks. Unfortunately when VC tried to meet the original EPA regs they went to using a fragile refractory material that didn't stand up to 24/7 burning. Repairs got expensive and VC ownership kept changing hands so support at times was poor. All this tarnished what used to be a great brand. Now VC is under the ownership of a major brand. It remains to be seen how it will fare.

OK thanks, so what year VCs should I concentrate on. I guess anything before a certian year is good? Also can you order their stove names in some ways or is there a chart of BTU output. I see the Intrepid, Intrepid II, Defiant, Encore, Vigilant etc.... Not sure what is what?

I agree with begreen. My Encore is a 1987 and I have replaced the refractory and he upper and lower fireback twice over the years. I love this old stove and not looking to replace any time soon but for most people they are just more trouble than worth. I would not rule out another VC but i would do alot of searching before the next stove. Six inch is standard size liner today but the old encore wanted 8 inch. You should go with 6 inch.
I burn the encore 24/7 and it works great so I will stay with it for few more years.

OK thanks, so what year VCs should I concentrate on. I guess anything before a certian year is good? Also can you order their stove names in some ways or is there a chart of BTU output. I see the Intrepid, Intrepid II, Defiant, Encore, Vigilant etc.... Not sure what is what?
I would stay away from them altogether. Yes the old stoves were very good for their time. But that was a long time ago. There is now much better stuff out there that can be had for much less than a good classic vc stove. And I would not even consider putting a down draft or most of the cat vc stoves in they are just to temperamental and to expensive to keep running.

Personally, unless you want to possibly to a rebuild, I would not go there. The initial cost may be low but the rebuild cost may not. The great VC years were from the late 70's to the mid-1980s. That means if you are getting an original VC stove it will have about 35 yrs of wear and tear on it. These are somewhat complex stoves and even the best eventually need rebuilding. If not a VC stove, be on the lookout for Woodstock, Hampton, Jotul, Upland and other rear venting stoves.

Last edited:
FYI For a couple hundred more you can get the Englander NC30 which is much loved here and can pump out the heat.

chit, you're right. I see the pictures form HD. It's made in the USA and seems to have a better build quality. Now I think I'm seeing where I should concentrate. But I see Youtube Videos of this US Stove 2000 and they are saying good things.

Don't think the US 2000 is bad but the 30 has a bigger firebox, which you may need heating from the basement (IIRC) and has a known track record of quality and service. Englander has stood behind it's products.

Big Englanders and Drolets are popular basement heaters with good track records.

$560? Wouldn't even consider it compared to the 30-NC.

Englander will put the 30-NCH on sale in Feb/March, usually about $600-$650 +/-. Very good stove for a very good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.