Getting ahead for the fall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Got out a few loads of soft maple , locust and cherry the other day when the warm snap hit. Doing some thinning out on my uncle's farm trees are just the right size in rounds , no need to split just right to the stacks till November !

Last edited:
Those bottom two pics look an awful lot like my place the last couple of days.

Just curious, how far ahead are you in supply? I try to be around three years ahead and generally, I'll cut rounds and stack them separately, then split and stack at my leisure over the summer. Sounds like that's what you're doing.

I stay about a year ahead and that's all I can accomplish with work and family and in my areas conditions most everything is well seasoned in that time frame. I cut and typically split same time the rounds in my truck were split. The smaller rounds with the tractor were not.

That all looks like about two weeks (or less) of wood for me.

Considering the time I get paid per hour doing my "day job", plus the effort and expense for myself to cut and transport that amount of wood compared to what it would costs to buy it (pre-cut and split): completely not worth it, financially.

Yet, I scrounge, cut, split and stack anything thicker than a pencil that I can get that does not directly include opening up the wallet. Oddly it is not about economics. It must be a disease.

In reality yes, those two loads I cut while I had the weekend free will also equal out to close to two weeks for me. But it's all a matter of time for me and also helping out family clear off land so it will be a win win this spring while I easily get ready for the winter.

Every little bit helps and it adds up quick. Truck load here half there before you know it you have a year or two cut split stacked ready to go nice score. Plus like you said helping someone out always a good thing.

Those bottom two pics look an awful lot like my place the last couple of days.

Just curious, how far ahead are you in supply? I try to be around three years ahead and generally, I'll cut rounds and stack them separately, then split and stack at my leisure over the summer. Sounds like that's what you're doing.
@Sprinter I am curious with your rounds. Do you cover them with a tarp or do you just stack them off the ground and not cover them? I have about a half a years worth of rounds that are stacked off the ground and tarped. Just wondering if this is a good idea or should i just stack the rounds off the ground and not worry about covering them? Thanks

I do not cover my rounds, but usually the only wood I leave in rounds are locust. I believe if off the ground though you will be fine. If it stays dry you should be good. Just my thoughts.

I don't cover mine either unless theyre in the pile and I don't cover my pile until September. Good idea to keep them off the ground though

@Sprinter I am curious with your rounds. Do you cover them with a tarp or do you just stack them off the ground and not cover them? I have about a half a years worth of rounds that are stacked off the ground and tarped. Just wondering if this is a good idea or should i just stack the rounds off the ground and not worry about covering them? Thanks
Well, in my case, the rounds will be split up this summer, stacked under shelter and used in a few years, so I wouldn't bother covering them for that short time. It seems to me that it would do no good to cover rounds since the bark will keep the wood from drying anyway. Of course, you'd never fully cover any firewood.

But if I had to use those rounds next season, I would get them split and stacked under a good shelter right away. I can't imagine leaving rounds unsplit for too long. They would take forever to dry through the ends. I do keep them off the ground by laying down some of those red landscape timbers.

So much depends on the species, local climate, how soon you have to use the wood, etc, that I hate to advise anyone about what's best for them, other than the general rules. You do whatever it takes to get your firewood to about 20% by burning time. Usually that means getting it c/s/s and under cover (breatheable shelter) for however long it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.