Getting an accurate insert temp.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
HI hearth members I would like some feedback on what you think, Lastnight I had a fire and my stove top temp reached 800 degrees, had me a little concerned but not much. As I monitored the stove I was thinking that this may not be reason for too much concern because after all six inches below the thermometer is six ash splits and a hell of a secondary burn going on and yes it is throwing a chit ton of heat now. I was thinking that the manual said 850 is considered an over fire but the manufacturer dosent say if that is stove top temp or flu temp. Im thinking even at 800 stove top temp my flu temp may be 500 or so. I am in a unique position as an insert owner because I I have a brass grate about 18 Inches above the insert where I can see my ss liner, Im thinking about pulling that grate off and figuring out a way to secure a thermometer to the liner so i could get a flu temp that way. So I guess my question is should I not be so concerned about stove top temp and be more concerned about flu temp?

That's too hot. Where are you currently reading the stove top temp? Was this with a reload on a hot coal bed? If so wait a bit longer before reloading. These raging secondary fires are kind of wasteful wood wise. Maybe pack the stove tighter and turn it down sooner? Also, was the blower going at the time? If so, it could be that your stove has too strong draft and needs less air.

BG, what temps does your 602 run at? Mine regularly hits 800 at the cook plate, though the rest of the stove is quite a bit cooler...

I try to keep it below 700F. Though it will shoot up on occasion if I don't keep an eye on it. Check the back temp when the top plate is at 800F. That's the stove's weak spot and why I added a burn plate back there. If the back is over 850F it's at risk of cracking.

Begreen, My magnet temp gauge is in the middle of the stove top next to the surround. This was after a reload of six ash splits, I pushed the air intake in 95% in incriments and then it seemed to settle down around 600 degrees stove top temp , I went to bed in the room next to the room with the insert in it, and 30 minutes later I could tell it was running hotter because the room got warmer and I could smell it a little bit, so I checked on it and it was at 800 degrees so i pushed the intake in all the way and she started to cool off. My blower was on the high setting. The stove was pack pretty good. It dosent shoot up to 800 very often i can usually keep it between 600 and 700. My concern is, The fire has to be 1000 degrees (reading on here in forums) to light secondaries with a magnet only a few inches away on steel why wouldnt my stove get that hot and be ok? Just to add I can get the stove up to 600 degrees failey easiley, Because Im not burning in the day time all the time yet I havent been able to damper the stove down sooner and go outside while its light out to see if I see smoke, Ill try it today if Sandy would keep her wind to herself.

I try to keep it below 700F. Though it will shoot up on occasion if I don't keep an eye on it. Check the back temp when the top plate is at 800F. That's the stove's weak spot and why I added a burn plate back there. If the back is over 850F it's at risk of cracking.
Yeah, haven't measured the back directly yet, but typically the rest of the stove top is about 1-150' cooler than the burn plate for whatever reason. If I try to turn down the air at burn plate temps < 800, I get a smoldering fire. Of course, this is with the N/CB model. But the burn plate burned much hotter even on my original 602. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

OP, 800 is probably too hot to be running consistently with your stove, but you won't do any damage if it sees those temps every now and then, or for short periods of time. Just turn down the air once you get there...

Yeah, haven't measured the back directly yet, but typically the rest of the stove top is about 1-150' cooler than the burn plate for whatever reason. If I try to turn down the air at burn plate temps < 800, I get a smoldering fire. Of course, this is with the N/CB model. But the burn plate burned much hotter even on my original 602. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

OP, 800 is probably too hot to be running consistently with your stove, but you won't do any damage if it sees those temps every now and then, or for short periods of time. Just turn down the air once you get there...

No worries , get the help you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.