Getting heat from room to room with a Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In Sacramento everything is hotter. Things are different in cold climates.

We're heating a 2400' rancher. I've placed one small fan at the top of a doorway(got tired of tripping over it) in the middle of the house that runs 24/7. The stove in this picture is out of frame, back wall on the right. The fan draws heated air at the ceiling and pushes in to the kitchen behind me, then natural convection in to a bedroom off the kitchen and a bathroom and bedroom down a short hallway off the kitchen. The stove room stays at about 24-25C, the kitchen/living room/dining room are 22-23C, and the far bedroom (about 65' from the stove) is at 21C. Even with overnight temps at 2C, the no part of the house ever gets below 19-20C.
P_20181116_203053.jpg

Last edited:
More comfortable/even temps with it running in reverse? The dogs won't be interested unless there is a rat or squirrel on the fan.

Heat distribution is better. Murphy & Sam are wearing bullet proof vests ;lol

Reactions: begreen
We're heating a 2400' rancher. I've placed one small fan at the top of a doorway(got tired of tripping over it) in the middle of the house that runs 24/7. The stove in this picture is out of frame, back wall on the right. The fan draws heated air at the ceiling and pushes in to the kitchen behind me, then natural convection in to a bedroom off the kitchen and a bathroom and bedroom down a short hallway off the kitchen. The stove room stays at about 24-25C, the kitchen/living room/dining room are 22-23C, and the far bedroom (about 65' from the stove) is at 21C. Even with overnight temps at 2C, the no part of the house ever gets below 19-20C.
View attachment 233558

Well at 2 degrees C no wonder it’s so toasty!! I got up this morning to minus 22 C. Blunt force trauma for November! Supposed to warm up to around zero by end of week but I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Well at 2 degrees C no wonder it’s so toasty!! I got up this morning to minus 22 C. Blunt force trauma for November! Supposed to warm up to around zero by end of week but I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch! Don't miss that weather!. Family in NS got "snow" this week, not your kind of snow... or temperatures. I sent them this...
IMG_20181116_131715_01_01.jpg

Reactions: MissMac