Getting heat through a wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
First year heating and I love my Kuma it's done a great job keeping my main living area warm but I'm having trouble getting heat into the kennel room (see attached photo). Opening the door does work but my goal is to keep dog smells and dirt in the kennel room. I'm thinking of installing an 820 CFM thru wall fan (example attached) to move some heat in there. I'm regularly able to get the main living area in the upper 70s and just trying to keep the dog room in the high 50s maybe low 60s. House is new construction great insulation. Any folks have experience with this?

Screenshot_20230212_111815_OfficeSuite~5.jpg Screenshot_20231126_145906_Chrome.jpg

Pressurizing the kennel room sounds to me like a sure fire way to get those smells pushed into the house. In order to keep the smells there you’ll have to heat air from that room and keep that air there.

Pressurizing the kennel room sounds to me like a sure fire way to get those smells pushed into the house. In order to keep the smells there you’ll have to heat air from that room and keep that air there.
Forgot to mention I do have an exhaust fan in the kennel room as well. And the door into the room is an exterior door with seals. It may give me a little issue with draft in the stove with all that negative pressure but I have a tall straight chimney that drafts extremely well.

If you move air from one room it will be replaced with air from the other room bringing the odors with it. You need a separate heating source for the kennel room or you need to filter the air leaving it.

If you move air from one room it will be replaced with air from the other room bringing the odors with it. You need a separate heating source for the kennel room or you need to filter the air leaving it.
What if I have a bathroom exhaust fan in the kennel room?

Agreed, it needs its own heat. Plus a fan that size is big and noisy. An 800 cfm draw may create negative pressure in the house which can cause replacement air to come from any opening, like a dryer and bath vents, leaky door and windows, and possibly reverse the draft on the stove.

Does your bathroom exhaust fan flow more than 820CFM? If not, than it won’t evacuate fast enough to keep the room from being pressurized.

Agreed, it needs its own heat. Plus a fan that size is big and noisy. An 800 cfm draw may create negative pressure in the house which can cause replacement air to come from any opening, like a dryer and bath vents, leaky door and windows, and possibly reverse the draft on the stove.

Does your bathroom exhaust fan flow more than 820CFM? If not, than it won’t evacuate fast enough to keep the room from being pressurized.
The fan could be dialed down to meet the needs but I'm starting to think I'll just use the in floor heat that the room was set up with. Its very efficient just trying to minimize propane use as much as I can.

The fan could be dialed down to meet the needs but I'm starting to think I'll just use the in floor heat that the room was set up with. Its very efficient just trying to minimize propane use as much as I can.
A warm floor is nice. If the dogs have a decent coat and a place off the floor to rest, then keeping it at 50º should be ok. What type are they?

A warm floor is nice. If the dogs have a decent coat and a place off the floor to rest, then keeping it at 50º should be ok. What type are they?
Border collies. Plenty durable likely wouldn't mind at all. The wife however........

Reactions: begreen
Border collies. Plenty durable likely wouldn't mind at all. The wife however........
Border collies are tough dogs and love snowy weather. They need exercise more than heat.

Border collies are tough dogs and love snowy weather. They need exercise more than heat.
Yes, my main work dogs mostly live outside. We have 20 acres and trial them in USBCHA sheepdog trials. Just trying to keep the room a bit more level.

Wonder if there is a good enough filter for the job? Inflow outflow kind of thing.