Getting ready for my hampton insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2013
long island
Well i moved into the new to me house!
Posted a few months ago i picked up a brown enameled hampton hi300 never used off cl for $2400.

So heres what i have....
Duel 8x8 terracottas and there is no other appliance in this chimney. Im guessing i should pull or break them out. Looks to be 5 2 footers stacked x2, top 2 i can just pull out and might be able to pull them all out.
If i pull them all how do i finish the top?

I can actually shimmy dwn behind brick wall where the wood storage area is. Would love to insulate the inner brick wall but i think ill just great stuff some dow board up in the attic and lay the insulation back down this way the cold attic air isnt getting down there.

Had some carpenter ants around the chimney/rafters due to the flashing having some holes. I sprayed them and siliconed the flashing, have to see if their any where else. Prolly gonna change the lower back 2x8 which they were in.

Heres some pics, chimney is roughly 16'.
If you have any pointers let me know! 20150906_163856~2.jpg 20150906_163921~2.jpg 20150906_164020_HDR.jpg 20150906_164345.jpg 20150906_164413.jpg 20150906_164422.jpg 20150906_164506.jpg 20150906_171908.jpg

Why pull out the clay liners? You can fit a 6" diameter stainless liner in there, can't you?
Where does the other flue go to, the basement? Can't have too many flues. :)

Why pull out the clay liners? You can fit a 6" diameter stainless liner in there, can't you?

Not with insulation you cant and it clearly does not have the required clearance so it needs insulation

And they are all stacked crooked! It will be insulated, superflex from sleepy hollow chimney. Just curious, what clearance doesnt it meet? I just see the chimney going right up through roof, are the rafters too close?
After pulling clay liners do i install one 12"x12" up top?

Just curious, what clearance doesnt it meet?
You need 1" between the outside of the masonry and any combustible materials And 2" for interior. But a properly insulated ss liner gives you zero clearance on the outside of the masonry. And no you don't need to put any clay back in just the stainless

Pulled 2 1' and 2 2' liners out, cant reach the rest. Ill have to get something to grab them.
How does the top get finished? Just a stainless flat top plate that holds the liner up? 20150907_105544.jpg

Looking at that picture I am wondering at what point you go from a brick chimney to a brick chase that would require class A inside instead of an insulated liner.

How does the top get finished? Just a stainless flat top plate that holds the liner up?

Well you will need to do some masonry repair then either a masonry crown or a stainless top plate to cover over the whole top. As far as gettin the rest of the liners out we break them out using special equipment. And no it does not need a class a

Its a pretty big area with out the clay liners, would the stainless top plate bow in and collect water? I plan to repair the top layer of brick, should i get some bluestone or something to close it in a little?

Its a pretty big area with out the clay liners, would the stainless top plate bow in and collect water? I plan to repair the top layer of brick, should i get some bluestone or something to close it in a little?
You could do that or just use heavy enough stainless that it wont sag

Pulled 4 more out with my 4 claw garden tool! Started knocking out the bottom 2 with a digging bar, i have about 8"-12" left but i can barely reach now. Pic was taken b4 that. Ill have to figure something out on the rest.
Is it safe knocking the bottom ones out?

20150909_180306.jpg
20150909_180747.jpg20150909_180313~2.jpg

Hows this look? Made a tile knocker then used my digging bar some more, then dropped my digging bar! Got it out though.
Vacuumed up what i could, only the bottom 2 tiles fell below. 20150912_134801.jpg

Reactions: GS7
Does the damper assembly support anything or its usually safe to cut any part of it out?
This damper was on a heavy angle.
Looking at it, it looks like ill have to remove the right side, back iron piece and layer of brick on the back. Prolly gonna need an angled stove adaptor too.
Heres some more pics if anyone can make out how i see it.
20150914_183923.jpg 20150914_184303.jpg 20150914_184336.jpg

Does the damper assembly support anything or its usually safe to cut any part of it out?
it is usually fine to remove any part of it but occasionally they do support some. Nice job so far btw. I am impressed with the breakout with limited tools

Reactions: begreen
Thanks! All were really easy to just pull out, the bottoms were the pita but still not too bad. Neighbors just keep looking at me!
Driving around i havnt seen anyone with removed clay liners and i know next door has an insert.

Driving around i havnt seen anyone with removed clay liners and i know next door has an insert.
Honestly most inserts don't need them removed. Generally the liners for fireplaces are large enough to fit an insulated liner down them.

Both went to the fireplace! Stupid, every house i see in this neighborhood have the 2 clay liners.
Yeah stupid and they never work right either

How much does knocking out clay flue liners weakling the chimney ? Looks like your mortar and brick are the soft type.

Good thing is i dont see any shiny creosote! Just some soot on the brick. The liners were pretty much clean just black dust.

How much does knocking out clay flue liners weakling the chimney ? Looks like your mortar and brick are the soft type.
It should not weaken it any at all. The liners should be completely separate from the chimney structure

I was able to pull out all but the bottom 2 just by lifting them out! The chimney itself seems sturdy, i cant get it to rock or anything. Its a big brick structure in and outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.