Getting ready to purchase first wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Emaisch

Aug 2, 2018
West Chester pa
Hey there from southeast pa. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Quadra fire Voyageur or Napoleon Epi3?
They seem to be about the same price. The fireplace store I went to was pushing the Voyageur and a Vermont castings Montpelier. The chimney sweep installer was pushing the Napoleon Epi3. They are all flush mount and are all non catalytic I believe. I originally wanted a regency hi1300 but decided I didn’t want the maintenance involved with replacing the Catalyst. Those mentioned fit my fireplace dimensions fine. Can anyone speak about these models? I’m also wondering why they seem more expensive then a lot of the others?

The Montpelier and Voyageur are popular inserts. There have been a few threads in this forum comparing them. Do a Search on either model. Note that Regency i3100 is a non-cat insert. The C2600 is their cat model.

Here is a thread to get you started. Also check the Reviews section for user feedback.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/montpelier-vs-voyageur.157148/

The Montpelier and Voyageur are popular inserts. There have been a few threads in this forum comparing them. Do a Search on either model. Note that Regency i3100 is a non-cat insert. The C2600 is their cat model.

Here is a thread to get you started. Also check the Reviews section for user feedback.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/montpelier-vs-voyageur.157148/
Thanks. I did check the review spot on the forum. I might have the model # wrong on the regency but the one I was looking at was the cat model. I was hoping someone had the Napoleon that could chime in since that one would be about 200 cheaper. Also neither installer mentioned insulating the opening from my old large rectangle damper. When I asked the one installer (chimney sweep) he said he seals the gaps at the top of the chimney. Is this sufficient ?

We don't see many Napoleon products here anymore but there may be at least one or two threads on the EPI3. Try searching for them. An insulated block off plate is an option. Many do not quote in order to have their bid stay competitive. If this is an exterior wall chimney a block-off plate and some insulation behind the insert can improve heat output nicely vs just a top seal.

We don't see many Napoleon products here anymore but there may be at least one or two threads on the EPI3. Try searching for them. An insulated block off plate is an option. Many do not quote in order to have their bid stay competitive. If this is an exterior wall chimney a block-off plate and some insulation behind the insert can improve heat output nicely vs just a top seal.
It’s semi exterior. Meaning it’s on the wall between my house and garage. The garage walls are insulated but the garage door and roof is not.