Git'ner done this weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
IMG_20141025_170950.jpg
An old co worker hooked me up with a friend of hers, an old retired couple that has a few acres of of woods that had a lot of standing dead and down trees they wanted cleaned up. They think im doing them a favor, i think they are doing me a favor so it works out great. While cutting their trees 3 of the neighbors heard about it and offered me trees on their property, some already cut and bucked by a tree company just laying there. One years worth of wood suddenly morphed into 2 or 3 years ahead. Right now im dropping them, bucking them up abd leaving them in piles so i can make quick trips to load up as i have time. Perfect evening to be in the woods.

IMG_20141026_103853.jpg IMG_20141026_103947.jpg

Finally splurged and bought a log splitter, got almost half those rounds split yesterday in about 8 hrs. Kinda feel guilty buying a splitter as i always took pride in splitting my wood by hand but now that my quantity of wood increased 10 fold im getting to old to keep up swinging an axe.

IMG_20141026_132717.jpg
I could not believe how many rounds i split where ants just came pouring out. They were just packed solid in some of these pieces. Aspen and birch are the worst for ants.

IMG_20141020_141639.jpg
My ol chain saw. It's probably 20 yrs old and i have ran it over with the truck, dropped trees on it, and once ran it on straight gas til it seized up and it still keeps going for which i am thankful. A new Stihl will be my next up grade, maybe next year.

Al in all it was a good weekend. Got some wood cut, got a lot of wood split, cleaned the leaves out of the gutters, cleaned up the yard for winter and i still have today off to get more done. And best of all the weather was perfect this weekend.

Reactions: nmcqueen469
Nice weekend's work!

Is that the Menard's splitter? What do you think of it?

Is that the Menard's splitter? What do you think of it?

yeah, it is. I like it altho i wish a few things were engineered different on it im pleased with the purchase. I gave a more indepth review of it in The Gear section.

Im 3 or 4 yrs out now on my wood supply, maybe even 5 depending on how my austral burns thru it in its first year. My girlfriend told me i had "enough wood" in the back yard and didnt need anymore. I might have to cut her loose she keeps talking crazy like that.

With that much wood to cut for free it would justify upgrading the saw. You may be surprised at how much time it will save bucking rounds. I ran one of those my father had once and maybe his was screwy but it vibrated so much my hands were numb/ tingly in about a half hour.

View attachment 142479
An old co worker hooked me up with a friend of hers, an old retired couple that has a few acres of of woods that had a lot of standing dead and down trees they wanted cleaned up. They think im doing them a favor, i think they are doing me a favor so it works out great. While cutting their trees 3 of the neighbors heard about it and offered me trees on their property, some already cut and bucked by a tree company just laying there. One years worth of wood suddenly morphed into 2 or 3 years ahead. Right now im dropping them, bucking them up abd leaving them in piles so i can make quick trips to load up as i have time. Perfect evening to be in the woods.

View attachment 142481 View attachment 142482

Finally splurged and bought a log splitter, got almost half those rounds split yesterday in about 8 hrs. Kinda feel guilty buying a splitter as i always took pride in splitting my wood by hand but now that my quantity of wood increased 10 fold im getting to old to keep up swinging an axe.

View attachment 142483
I could not believe how many rounds i split where ants just came pouring out. They were just packed solid in some of these pieces. Aspen and birch are the worst for ants.

View attachment 142484
My ol chain saw. It's probably 20 yrs old and i have ran it over with the truck, dropped trees on it, and once ran it on straight gas til it seized up and it still keeps going for which i am thankful. A new Stihl will be my next up grade, maybe next year.

Al in all it was a good weekend. Got some wood cut, got a lot of wood split, cleaned the leaves out of the gutters, cleaned up the yard for winter and i still have today off to get more done. And best of all the weather was perfect this weekend.

Wow! Very nice, hey is that a wildthing saw? I had one about 15 years ago and i had the same luck, only problem was the chain popped off alot, but you couldnt kill it. Ran it on pure gas as well... just got tired of over 10 years of chain poppin. So i loved the saw so much i decided to replace it with the same one...had them on sale at tractor supply. For $89 !! Got it home to start cutting.... ran for about a second but wouldnt idle.... tried making adjustments but just ran like crap. Took it back and the manager said they have had nothing but problems with them and was why they were so cheap, needless to say i got a replacement one and same thing so i thought i would run down a few trees with it to see if it would warm up for me...... first tree..... half way thru..... crankshaft snaps right off at the clutch...... well that was it for that. guess the old expression "they dont make um like they use to" may apply here lol. Got my first real saw now a Husqvarna with a 20 inch bar man what a difference.!

Wow! Very nice, hey is that a wildthing saw

yeah, its 20 yrs old or so. The chain pops off occasionally but what i hate is how loose the chain gets 5 minutes after adjusting it. Like you i actually bought a new one last fall and a couple months ago it died on me. Low compression for some reason, probably a scored cylinder, or bad rings. Looks like their newer models are junk. I just want to make it thru November cutting and i'll save up for a decent Stihl for next year. With buying and installing my stove this spring, truck repairs and buying a splitter this past weekend i cant swing a new saw yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.