given up on double-sided insert; looking for fireplace door advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbobnation

Aug 7, 2014
Montana
Hi All,

I'm a relatively new guy to the site. I've spent a good bit of time reading threads, but never posted anything.

I just bought a house in Southwest Montana that has a nice double-sided fireplace. See pictures attached. We'd like to use the fireplace this winter, not so much for primary heat, but it would be nice not to lose too much heat from this thing. And I just bought two cords of wood, so we'll probably be using it more than when I was doing grocery store bundles.. I've given up on an insert as I can't find any double-sided inserts that would fit (duet is too big, our opening is 19" x 33.5"), and my wife wants to keep the "see thru" option. So instead I've been thinking about installing doors on either side.

Does this seem like a reasonable thing to do? And will this improve the efficiency of the fireplace, or at least reduce drafts? (Or at least let us go to bed before the fire is completely out, which is what we have to do now with this mesh on the front) Any tips on brands of doors? Also, any thoughts on pyroceramic doors that I could leave shut with a big fire? Any advice would be appreciated!

jim

Attachments

• DSC_7019.JPG
    DSC_7019.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_7020.JPG
    DSC_7020.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_7021.JPG
    DSC_7021.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 113
Wives are not always correct (and sometimes hubbies are wrong too). I would put in single sided insert and get some decent heat out of this unit rather than putting cash into doors.

Thanks weatherguy and begreen. I think I'll spend a bit more energy trying to convince my wife to go for the insert.
Didn't know about the wilkening doors weatherguy. thanks!
j

The other factor is that we are not 100% sure we will stay in the area, so are hesitant to sink a bunch of money into the fireplace, but would like to get some use out of the fireplace this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.