Q&A Glass doors dirty on new woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just bought a new Regency wood fireplace insert and am having a difficult time keeping the glass doors clean. I have adjusted the fan, draft and house mechanical system, but to no avail. I am burning dry wood.

Answer:

Low draft is the biggest possible reason...or operator error. Take heed of the advice below:

1. When you start your stove, run it real hot for the first 20-30 minutes...or even up to an hour or more. This will warm the chimney and create a good bed of hot coals in the unit. Once this critical mass is established, things should work quite well.

2. Make sure there is always a flame on the wood. If you turn the unit down so it only smolders, then your glass will get dirty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.