glass doors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemike

Dec 7, 2013
Hey guys I'm new to the site and new to burning wood. I inherited my grandmothers house and decided to put in a wood stove to supliment high oil cost. Bought a stove used really cheap from a friend that isnt cast that apparently came from a welding shop. I love wood heat and enjoy the work that comes along with it but the only thing o wish I had was glass doors to view the fire. Is it possible to get glass doors added to the stove. Its really a great stove and it is huge which really makes heating my 1100sq/ft easy. It might not look like the best in the pic but for $50 and it being perfectly solid im happy happy happy. Thanks for any info

Attachments

• IMG954778.jpg
    IMG954778.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 202
Welcome to hearth.com!
The question is not whether it's possible to put glass in the door (or fab a glass door), but more...whether it would be worth your while. Most stoves with glass doors are engineered so that the glass stays clean. This is almost impossible to do on a stove like you have, so the window would be 90% fogged up and black/grey most of the time.

It would be a difficult job anyway - you'd have to mill out some of the iron in the door, get the glass cut, drill and tap for mounting screws and a frame, etc.

Better to leave a cheapo stove as a cheapo stove.

Looks like this one is staying an oldie but a Goldie and I'll be saving up for a new stove eventu . Thanks for the response

I definitely agree with webbie, but it also depends on how handy you are. I personally wouldn't mind doing the work as an experiment. You might even find a way to keep the glass clean since a steel stove is easier to modify. Another issue though, is the cost. That stove glass isn't regular glass, it's designed to take a lot of heat, and it's not cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if a piece of glass for that stove cost 3 times more than you paid for the stove.

My parents are talking about getting a new stove this season and giving me there Vermont castings vigilant ( 1970's I think) in fairly good cond. Small crack on the side but my I'm close friends with a welder so I'm not too worried about that. Other then that a little cleaning and a new pin for the top feed door and maybe replace the gaskets to be safe. Is this stove a food for for my fairly small one story house? Does anyone on here have one and if so would you recommend it over the stove I have now. The only reason I want to switch it out is for the glass doors that are on it

Status
Not open for further replies.