Glass on new stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

Here is a silly question, why do almost all of the new new stoves have glass in them, back in the days of the older stoves they always said the glass lowered the efficiency of the stove so I was surprised to find very few stoves with out any glass.

Simply for cosmetic purposes. Also most people want to see the fire like they would in a fireplace. Romantic things and all... Our present stove is the first we've had with a window and we like it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Simply for cosmetic purposes. Also most people want to see the fire like they would in a fireplace. Romantic things and all... Our present stove is the first we've had with a window and we like it.
That's interesting as it seems to be the normal, I gave up looking for one with out glass as there are very few out there. I have a PE summit on order and I am sure I will like the glass also.

The old stoves didn't keep enough heat and air in the right places to keep glass clean. New stoves manage this pretty well. I

t's nice to look at and good for the odd fire that fails to light off.

ATB,
Mike

As mentioned the new EPA stoves do a very good job of keeping the glass clean for the view . . . plus the "glass" used in the stoves these days is pretty rugged stuff -- it is very rare to hear about the glass breaking or failing as the stuff holds up well to temperature fluctuations and even physical shock . . . I'm not sure if you can say the same about the old tech stuff that was used in older stoves. In addition you will find that a good amount of heat will radiate out from the glass . . . I would say I easily get more heat radiating out from the front of my stove due to its configuration than I do from the sides and certainly more heat radiates out there than from the back or bottom (of course these also have heat guards.)

I think the primary reason you see more stoves with glass however is as Backwoods mentioned -- folks want to see the fire . . . and honestly being able to see the fire is a definite plus . . . it's romantic, relaxing, sets the mood, etc. . . . but even more importantly you don't have to constantly open the firebox door to see if you need to add more wood or not.

Fire good.

Romantic fire better.

Room lit by romantic fire only best.

Me handsome in fire light.

Not so much in bright light.

YMMV.

It's soooo much easier to figure out how to run the stove when you can see the fire. One quick glance and you know instantly how the fire is burning. The second bit of status is the thermometer that you should have on the top of the stove. Those two things will tell you how to set the draft control.

There are still those folks who love their Woodstock Classic. I saw a picture of someone's old Jotul Combifire recently. I always thought that stove looked like a figure on Easter island. Cool stove.

If nothing else the front glass can be a good indicator of how the stove is burning. If it's dark, it's burning too cool.

BeGreen said:
If nothing else the front glass can be a good indicator of how the stove is burning. If it's dark, it's burning too cool.

================
Depends on the stove. WHen my harman TL-300 is turned all the way down the glass will be black with no indication that the stove is burning at all, but if you can manage to see the afterburner in back of the stove between the wood its burning cherry red and white hot as it burns up the wood gasses coming off the slow burning contents of the stove.

Does this happen with very well seasoned wood? How often does the flue need cleaning when burning like this?

Our furnace has a glass door. It was discussed with another furnace manufacturer that the glass lowered the efficiency of the unit with heat being lost and not put into the ductwork. But I feel that the heat that comes through the door heats the basement without any ducts down there, and plenty of heat is placed into the ductwork from the rest of the unit for the home. I like the glass for the simple reason I don't have to open the door to check the fire. A quick peek and its either good, or needs more wood. Of course theres also the wow effect when you see a nice full burn. I wouldn't go without glass again.

I'd be surprised if the "glass" made much difference in efficiency. I'm sure it's measurable, but hardly enough to outweigh the benefit of keeping an eye on the fire. Newer stoves are much more efficient, IF they're burning correctly. Having the glass helps you instantly know if you need to adjust the air. I'm sure a thermometer will tell you the same thing, but the fire itself is much nicer looking than those ugly Rutland magnetic things.
Besides, it's radiant heat "loss" into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.