Glaze creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemi1182

Hearth Supporter
Mar 16, 2010
Central MN
I am installing a wood fireplace insert. I have a small layer of glazed creosote and I was wondering if that has to be removed even if I am putting a flexible liner in... And if so how can I get it removed??? Thank you
Brian

Yes - you should have as clean of a chimney as possible. Glaze is the hardest to remove. This may be a time to call in a pro. Basically the reason you want it clean is: although you are putting in a liner - the glaze creosote is fuel. IF it decided to light off it could cause a real "uh,oh" moment.

It doesn't have to be squeaky clean, but try and get any build up outta there.

Good advice, don't skip this step. The glaze is fuel. It's going to be an inch or less away from a pipe whose surface at times might be over 900 degrees. It's a bad combo. Sealed up inside, it's hard to reach and put out if it ignites. Search in the earliest threads for some sad stories of folks that skipped this important step. I think elkimmeg may have posted them.

Go to a fireplace shop and buy Anti Creosote, or ACS spray. Build a small brisk hot fire and pump about 20 pumps of the spray on the flame. After the fire goes out, try sweeping the chimney. A lot of the glaze should be gone. repeat the process until you see clay tile all the way down the chimney or at least 90%. Then toss the liner in.

BeGreen said:
Good advice, don't skip this step. The glaze is fuel. It's going to be an inch or less away from a pipe whose surface at times might be over 900 degrees. It's a bad combo. Sealed up inside, it's hard to reach and put out if it ignites. Search in the earliest threads for some sad stories of folks that skipped this important step. I think elkimmeg may have posted them.

if the top and bottom of the liner are well sealed there shouldn't be enough air around the liner to sustain a chimney fire, but it could smoulder a bit...
that said, if you cant remove all the glazed junk-insulating the liner with pour in type insulation should reduce/eliminate risk

Wood Heat Stoves said:
BeGreen said:

if the top and bottom of the liner are well sealed there shouldn't be enough air around the liner to sustain a chimney fire, but it could smoulder a bit...
that said, if you cant remove all the glazed junk-insulating the liner with pour in type insulation should reduce/eliminate risk

Problem is most liners only get the top cap sealed. That and one doesn't really know how tight the chimney is without a thorough inspection. If it has internal cracks or bad mortar, air can enter there are well.

Status
Not open for further replies.