Glossary Needed for Noobies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I think it would be great if there was a glossary for all the terminology, slang, and lingo having to do with these stoves. Some I have figured out, some I'm not so sure of. I'll bet others feel the same. Examples:

Primary and Secondary Air source
Secondary burn
baffle
damper
rounds
split
Chimney vs flue
Griddle
Fireback
Ash lip

Just to name a few.

Thanks!

Ken in Bellville TX

and a description of the difference between masonary chimlees vs masonry chimneys

Seriously, though, I agree about the glossary. I go away for a few months, and people are using the term 'zipper air" to mean "doghouse air," unless I'm wrong and haven't figured out zipper air yet.

(Kenster, Doghouse air comes in the front center of the firebox, where there's a little notch. But I don't know if all stoves have it)

I don't see one in the wiki. That would be a great wiki entry. One of you industry guys should get crackin'.

Kenster said:
I think it would be great if there was a glossary for all the terminology, slang, and lingo having to do with these stoves. Some I have figured out, some I'm not so sure of. I'll bet others feel the same. Examples:

Primary and Secondary Air source Similar to your insurance.
Secondary burn When you do not have to be treated at the hospital
baffle What BB attempts to do
damper Wetter
rounds Stopping at various bars
split What cheerleaders like to do
Chimney vs flue Chimney for directing smoke. Flu makes you sick.
Griddle Did you mean girdle?
Fireback When the opponent fired first and you answer with a shot.
Ash lip Not at all like a hair lip. This one is sort of dry and flaky.

Just to name a few.

Thanks!

Ken in Bellville TX

annette said:
I go away for a few months, and people are using the term 'zipper air" to mean "doghouse air," unless I'm wrong and haven't figured out zipper air yet.
AFAIK, it's not a new term but I do 'fess up to using it frequently. Would you rather I call it "tersory air"? I think Mike Holton may have been the first to use it back in 2007.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/128109/

Don't forget CHORD!

I haven't seen any defintions for these in the links, so I'll give them a crack.

Primary and Secondary Air source: Inlets that feed the primary and secondary air to the fire. The primary air generally squirts on the wood at the bottom from the front. The secondary air is injected at the top of the firebox most commonly by "burn tubes" that run from side to side.

Secondary burn: Combustion at the top of the firebox that happens as a result of fresh air being injected by the burn tubes. Not all new stoves have a visible secondary. Many catalytic stoves accomplish a final combustion in the catalytic element.

baffle: A flat panel made of light material that sits on top of the burn tubes and forces the airflow in the stove to follow an S path. That is, toward the back at the bottom, then up the back, then toward the front up by the burn tubes, up around the baffle and then back along the top and out the flue. A few stoves, like Napoleon, use a secondary manifold that runs perpendicular to the more common burn tubes, creating what some argue is a more effective mixing of the combustion gasses and more complete burn as the gasses swirl from the center to the sides.

damper: A rotating vane in the exhaust path used to control combustion air in a wood stove. This is generally not used with the modern EPA stoves which are more air tight. The modern stoves use a draft control on the fresh air input to the stove and have no need for a damper, except in conditions where excessive draft requires it.

rounds: Round unsplit pieces of firewood.

split: Split rounds.

Chimney vs flue: Chimney is the masonry structure that encloses a pipe that carries away exhaust gasses from the stove. That pipe is the flue.

Griddle: Not sure about this. A pan used to cook hot cakes.

Firebrick: Heat tolerant insulating brick placed inside the wood stove to enable the fire to reach high temperatures and burn more cleanly. Without the firebrick, the casing of the stove will cool the fire to the extent that it cannot burn cleanly, sending smoke up the chimney and generally making a mess of everything.

Ash lip: A shallow shelf that is attached to the front of the stove under the door to catch ash and loose coals to reduce the likelihood that they'll get away and make a mess.

The term 'zipper air" to mean "doghouse air," unless I'm wrong and haven't figured out zipper air yet.

Zipper Air is what you get if you wear plastic under pants and open your "zipper"

Status
Not open for further replies.