1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Well, my mancard just flew out the window. :confused:
    wingsfan and chvymn99 like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    They listened to Jack Benny on the radio. He said he carried his shoes to the studio "Because shoes cost money. Skin you can grow.".
  3. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I ambw typinr wit gl0ves on righft nowq.....
    wingsfan and Hearth Mistress like this.
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR

It was a forgery anyway. ::-)
  5. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    :mad:
  6. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    I am sure they did. They had a hard time letting go of the old, spread manure with the horses till the late sixties.
  7. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine

OWW CHIHUAHA.
  8. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I had to do in the sixties myself. But with a tractor. But I had to scoop it out of the lot into the spreader. <> With gloves!
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Gloves . . . 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I'm living dangerously and like to think of myself as being a devil-may-care sort of rogue who throws caution to the wind . . . or realistically it's just loading the stove from a cold start.

Now as for using gloves in the woods . . . rarely.
    bag of hammers likes this.
  10. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    *cough*

Back on topic *all masculinity stuff aside* :p

Wear my gloves ever time I open the PE.

The 13 is a learning curve, a hard lesson learned. Damned door latch, still have the imprint on my right thumb.
  11. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    I always wear gloves in the woods. The cable on the winch is merciless.
  12. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    The wife insists I wear gloves when handling wood otherwise the hands chaped up and get rough. So that's that.
  13. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    At the risk of being thrown out of the "he-man woman haters club" (since we're mixing a bit of testosterone with the old classics here) I have to say I'm with your wife on that one (figuratively speaking, of course). Those welder's gloves with the beer pockets are a decent compromise though...
  14. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    I may now have to start wearing gloves full time!
    Cynnergy and pen like this.
  15. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Something to be said for tough hands. I push chalk for a living, but generally work construction in the summer. By the end of August, my "man hands" are back. Come January, after working the chalk for a few months, I go to work on a vehicle, or do other hands-on / construction work and forget to put gloves on and I'm bleeding like a stuck pig and have small scabs from nicks all over my hands for a week and a half that make me look like I should be a suspect in a crime.

My father still likes to point this out to bust my chops, of course with his hands, he has no need for sandpaper unless it's finer than 60 grit.

If I ever bust someone for needing gloves, I'm just doing it for fun. For many people's profession / daily lives, having decent looking hands is important.

Man-card revocation is not necessary

pen
    osagebow and bag of hammers like this.
  16. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine

happy wife happy life
  17. Wildo

Wildo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    jackmanistan, maine

crazy wife crazy wife ... I mean crazy wife crazy life.
    Joful, ddddddden and bag of hammers like this.
  18. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    LOL.. It's all in good fun. I've done everything from running hydraulic presses to "cinder snapping" ( dancing with molten iron on a bast furnace floor in a steel mill), to cutting bush lines with survey crews, to programming, etc. No shortage of cuts and bruises, but I hate to add " burning my house down" to my list of stupid human tricks (been some doozies). My gloves help me keep the list in check.

Now if you really wanna see some fire, just drop a pair of gloves (or just about anything for that matter) down into a bell car full of liquid iron.
    pen likes this.
  19. colin.p

colin.p Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ottawa Canada
    Or buy a stove that has a 10X10X19 inch firebox (like a Jotul F3CB) and find out that the log you are trying to jam in is 19 1/2 inches. Doh!
  20. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I have an F3. And had to go out the basement door with a flaming too long split in my hands one night. The hands with the gloves on them. Trashed the gloves but saved the hands.

Gloves. They Save The Other White Meat.
  21. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I need to learn to open the door all the way..!!

And the 30-NC does have a Deeeeep box....... I like to be able to grab a split. If the mood strikes me ;)
  22. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    My favorite screw up with the 30 didn't involve gloves. I had them on. I went out and got some splits for the night load wearing my down filled vest. Came in and opened the door straight out and went about loading the N/S load. And then I smelled something and looked down and the door latch hook was buried in the vest and the feathers were burning.

That night the house smelled like somebody had set a duck on fire in the family room. ;em
    Insomnivore, tfdchief, Joful and 2 others like this.
  23. dave_376

dave_376 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central Ct
    I only use them if I am loading a hot stove, usually before bed. I usually load the stove 6am, 5pm, 9pm, 4 hours isn't enough time for the stove to burn up the coal bed so it tends to get hot. I only burned myself a few times this year, all on the door trying to close it after loading by reaching over the top for the handle. The welding gloves are also good for trying to rearrange the splits to get as many in there as possible, like a puzzle which ones need to pair together in a stack to fit in there tight.
    My only problem is the cheap pair of welding gloves I got had a bad seam but I was too lazy to return them and now I have a big hole in the thumb crotch.
  24. bboulier

bboulier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Virginia
    I always use welding gloves when loading the stove. Doesn't 100% prevent all burns, but pretty near. The Jotul 450 loads E/W. Sometimes splits roll towards the door or I need to rearrange the wood to maximize filling the box. In these circumstances, it's good to have gloves.
  25. adams614

adams614 Member

Loc:
    VT
    Honestly I keep em near buy for emergencies. A smoking log that needs to come out or gets lodged in the door. They have come in handy with things like that. As you get used to a stove the forearm burns happen few and far between.