Glowing Air Deflector - Overfiring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
Today was unusually cold and windy and I loaded up the stove North/South which I don't usually do, but I did. The stove seems fine operating with two stove top Rutland magnetic thermometers both reading 600 degrees F and the pipe 24 inches above the stove reading an internal temp of 900 degrees F. These temps are at maximum before the red zone according to the thermometers, but I regularly hear about much higher temps in this forum. Anyway, my Jotul manual states that any glowing parts mean you are over firing. The air deflector was glowing red for awhile. Was I over firing or is that normal?

Thanks

It does sound like the combination of the high wind, plus the N/S wood orientation was making it burn hotter than usual. I rarely saw much over 500 deg. internal flue temps with our Castine, even with a hot stove top. Where was the air control set to?

BeGreen said:
It does sound like the combination of the high wind, plus the N/S wood orientation was making it burn hotter than usual. I rarely saw much over 500 deg. internal flue temps with our Castine, even with a hot stove top. Where was the air control set to?

These temps occurred for awhile at the lowest setting it would go. What do you consider to be a "hot stove top"? Ever have the air deflector glow? My stove top normally operates at between 400 and 500 degrees F. Rarely do I reach 550 and never 600 until today and no part has ever glowed. It is strange since my setup (stainless pipe with two 90 degree bends to a tee outside) reduces the draft and I rarely experience high temps. My understanding is that the flue temp can be around 1.5 times the stove top temp. I know it depends on the air setting. Right now my stove top is 500 and the double wall pipe (inside) is 700 with the air set at 1/4 open.

600-750 is a hot stove top. I did see the manifold glow dully when testing compressed logs. It was a little exciting, but nothing the stove couldn't handle. But curiously my stove pipe generally ran cooler. I'm wondering if it's the elbows. My pipe was straight up.

What is even more unusual is that, after the dealer installed the stove, there was an air gap at the point the stove meets the pipe (even with the adapter that goes inside). When the stove is cold, I can feel air being drawn in so I know it leaks quite a bit (they installed it female end down - I wonder if that is the cause of the gap). You would think that this would cool the gases in the pipe. I have since placed a piece of rope gasket in there to reduce the leak, but still....

Status
Not open for further replies.