Glowing Creostoe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I cleaned my stove today. I didn't do it at the end of the season last year and I have been burning this year. Usually the stove is completely cold when I clean it. This time it was warm, not scorching hot but I needed gloves to remove the baffle. Probably 150 degrees or so.

After I came down from the roof, I looked in the stove and the creosote had a glow to it. It was kind of like vermiculite in a gas fireplace.

We're not talking we dripping creosote either. This was the dry powdery stuff I usually get.

Karl, that shinny stuff is just a sign to you that your wood is not really that dry. Just keep an eye on the chimney and clean as needed and you'll probably get through this year okay. This should also be a wake-up call to you reminding that you should already have next winter's wood split and stacked. If it something like oak, it needs to be in the stack 3 years before burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.