Goal: getting a proper wood stove - given my setup - please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

birdleaf12

Oct 6, 2020
massachusetts
Hello there,

To sum things up,

My wife and I just bought a house this year and it came with an existing wood stove.

We found out that the wood stove is not permitted, mainly due to it not having the 18 inches of clearance required in front of the stove.

So at this point, here are my overall goals:

1. Have a legally permitted safe wood stove that will be used to supplement my heating in the winter (won't be my primary heating source) but will be nice to have + offset costs.

2. I want it to be permitted/good to go with my insurance - just in case any accidents were to happen.

Relevant info:

please note I am in Massachusetts
1. house is 1750-1800 sq ft, wood stove would not be centrally located - moreso towards the right of the house
2. Please see photos to see the brick wall/floor/stove
3. Measurements for that are as follows:
brick wall is 35 inches across, 4 inch thick, and about 92 inches tall (all the way from floor to ceiling)
the brick floor is about 52 inches long and 43.5 inches wide

4. The current stove model is an "all nighter" little moe or tiny moe - not sure exactly
5. firebricks are somewhat damaged so would need to repair those.

6. I believe the building inspector goes off of the installation manual for the particular stove. It looks like if i replace the stove, it needs to vent out from the top of the stove instead of the back - that way I can put the stove back further and have better clearance in front of the stove.

I'm not sure if I am wrong about the clearances, if this current stove does not satisfy the goals listed above - I suppose the next questions would be as follows:

1. what stove brand/btu rating/ sq ft rating/etc. would be best installed given the dimensions listed above / my current setup.
2. Is it possible to get a stove that fits my needs in the $1500-2k mark?
3. Would you say it's worth selling my current stove, if so what would be a fair price for it. Please note some firebricks need to be replaced

Thank you for your help with this. I have been researching and scratching my head trying to figure all of this out.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 181
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 166
What kind of chimney do you have behind the brick?

A top vent stove would elimanate one bend and allow you to move it back to get clearance in the front. Help with draw to. How old is the stove pipe? Have you inspected the chimney? Thats probably the major expense.

I Have two chimneys, had a guy fix the other one up and had him peek in this one, he said it was decent but he was trying to sell me on a steel insert for it. It is a brick chimney and I believe it's clay lined or clay tile lined (not sure the verbiage). Think he mentioned there was a slight backdraft in the current stove.

That looks like a Big Moe. It's a substantial heater. I think you will be shooting for a 3 cu ft stove replacement. Your best bet to keep costs low will be a Drolet stove. If you like the radiant heat of the old All Nighter then the Drolet Austral III should do the job and fit the budget. Also look at the Drolet HT3000. Your old stove should sell in the $250-400 range now that the heating season is upon us.

What are the hearth dimensions?

Note that modern stoves are fussier about having seasoned wood to perform well.