Going Rate for Cleaning a Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Good morning all,
Does anyone know what the going rate is for getting a stove pipe? I need to get someone out to clean mine and I just wanna know what Im in for.

Thanks all

KatWill said:
Good morning all,
Does anyone know what the going rate is for getting a stove pipe? I need to get someone out to clean mine and I just wanna know what Im in for.

Thanks all

I paid $75 to have mine cleaned, but I would expect that it depends on what kind of setup you have. You may want to post a description of what you have and I am sure that other members will provide an opinion.

Thanks alot JotulOwner. I really appreciate your help. know i know what to expect more or less.

Well I would be expecting $150, more or less, based on what my neighbors pay and what I see on the Forum.

chimney swept? or just the pipe on the stove? if the latter, do it yourself 4 free..

KatWill, why not see if you can do it yourself? Unless you have a unsafe situation on the roof, it is quite easy to do and the tools are not that expensive. You'll spend less on the tools than what you'll pay for one cleaning by a sweep. Hey, I could let my wife do it if she would agree! It really is that easy for most situations.

I spent about 30 bucks for a brush and rods. The real savings comes when you realize that you can take a look at the chimney and if it's at all questionable, run the brush down it a few times. This kind of gets you on a schedule, lets you know how everything looks, and you don't have to pay for someone to come out. All depends on the roof and chimney though...

If you are new to wood burning I would suggest getting somebody at first and tell them you want to pick their brain the whole time they are cleaning(including go up on the roof with them). If they can't handle you picking their brain tell them not to bother. Most chimney cleaning places love it if you ask them questions about how they do things, they know that you will recommend them to somebody else if you like what you see and how you are treated

Then next time you can go to a big box store and spend 30-40 bucks and get your own chimney brush setup. It's not rocket science but cleaning a chimney, stove and knowing what to look for is something you want to be able to do well. Then you can confidently leave your house for work while your wood stove is keeping your crib nice and warm :) and not be worried at all

I would say about 150 bucks for a complete inspection which includes a thorough cleaning of stove and chimney pipe

Do it yourself! Easy, in most cases, and receive great satisfaction. Just be safe and careful!

Valhalla said:
Do it yourself! Easy, in most cases, and receive great satisfaction. Just be safe and careful!

Chimney Sweep cleaned the chimneys of a couple of my neighbors yesterday. Both chimneys are masonry..one about 18' and one about 24' high. Also, the sweep takes apart the stove piping and cleans them. The sweep charged them each $75.00.

I do not know exactly what your chimney setup is but you might want to look into cleaning it from the bottom up. I clean two chimney flues that way. The wood cookstove in the cabin is vented through a 12' triple-wall stainless chimney that goes directly through the roof above. I take off the black piece of pipe and run a 6" brush up through the stainless chimney and take the black pipe outside and scrape it with a half-moon scraper and 6" brush.

The cleanout door of the 28' masonry chimney in the house is about 5' above the basement floor. I remove the door and run a 6" brush up through. No ladders...no climbing (except for a couple of times I tipped off the chimney cap). I great benefit of this method is it can be done in just about any weather condition. A second benefit is a lot of the fine dust is sucked up and out of the chimney.
jackpine

$150CDN in these parts.

I paid $110 the first time, and now do it for myself. Stuff cost less than one professional cleaning. I also will be starting to help other neighbors out by doing theirs too.

Rods: $50

Brush: $16

Dust Mask: $35

Ladder: $75

Emergency Room: $3,500

Watching somebody else do it: Priceless

Yeah "easy" doesn't happen w/ this setup. I'll gladly pay the man his $150 to come work on this monster...

Attachments

• Going Rate for Cleaning a Stove Pipe
    CHOUT01.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 193
Edthedawg said:
Yeah "easy" doesn't happen w/ this setup. I'll gladly pay the man his $150 to come work on this monster...

Easy in most cases, just not this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.