Going through fire starters like crazy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighting Up

Feeling the Heat
Jan 30, 2010
Roc City NY
I'm I the only one? With this warm weather can't seem to keep a fire going compare to last year...
md

What Kind of starters do you use? I have found in my old stove that georgia fat wood worked great 2 sticks and a roaring fire wouldn't take long to arrive. Recently I was turned on to super cedars they are just about a guaranteed fire on the first try. How often do you cold start ? if you can push the hot coals to the side then scoop out the cold ash then spread the hot coals and reload.

Pete

Lighting Up said:
I'm I the only one? With this warm weather can't seem to keep a fire going compare to last year...
md

Difficulty keeping fires burning in warmer weather...sounds normal to me. Your draft becomes more of an issue.

Pete1983 said:
What Kind of starters do you use? I have found in my old stove that georgia fat wood worked great 2 sticks and a roaring fire wouldn't take long to arrive. Recently I was turned on to super cedars they are just about a guaranteed fire on the first try. How often do you cold start ? if you can push the hot coals to the side then scoop out the cold ash then spread the hot coals and reload.

Pete

I use Diamond strike a fire I only need one, brake it in half works great. This time last year the stove ran steady so far with the up and down temps I've let the stove go cold in the day time and restart it at night. letting the furnaces take the chill out during the day time...
md

Lighting Up said:
Trouble starting or trouble after the fire's established?

Super Cedars kick butt. I get 20 chunks, ten starts, out of one Cedar puck. Last night I started (top-down cold starts and reloads here) with three mini newspaper knots (1.5 single-page sheets) and a few little Red Pine sticks. I haven't had any draft problems, and it was plenty cold enough here last night for good draft. :long:

Yes, when it's warmer outside it's been taking me forever to get a fire started in a cold stove.

Same here. My fires mostly die out during the day. The temps have been really warm, plus I have huge solar gain in my house. Let it die out through the day, then start back up during the evening. Good thing I got a score on some pallets for fire starter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.