Going to price a new stove on saturday....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
I need to get a 12" chunk of Dura-vent for my shop heater tomorrow. While at the store I am going to see what kind of a deal I can make on a new St Croix Hastings and trade in the St Croix Greenfield corn burner I'm using (with pellets) in my shop. I'd put the new stove in the house and install the Pepin in my shop.

The Greenfield has been struggling with a rich mixture for the last two months despite my repeated attempts to clean it and make some adjustments. I may try to use the corn pot instead of the smaller pellet pot... the stove really does not generate the btu's of my old Pepin that I run in the house.

Anyway I called my dealer today... they sent me a clearance flyer in the mail.... up to $600.00 off a stove plus 4 tons of free pellets. But their price in a new Hastings was $3199.00!!! I think that's without the discount but I can't imagine paying that much for any stove.

Krooser, are u using the little grate thing for your pellet pot, or the pot that looks like a corn pot w/ taller sides?

smwilliamson said:
Greenfield and Hastings are THE SAME EXACT STOVE. Consider a new burn pot perhaps.

But the Hastings has the versa-grate and auto start the Greenfield does not. If I install a new stove in the house, the boss has made it clear that she want's easy maintenance and our old Pepin will run for three weeks without opening the door if I run douglas fir pellets with very little ash... she does not want a manual start stove and the versa-grate keeps the burn pot nice and clean so you almost never have to scrape or clean it except when doing a full cleaning.

rickwai said:
Krooser, are u using the little grate thing for your pellet pot, or the pot that looks like a corn pot w/ taller sides?

I believe I have the pellet pot installed.. it's quite a bit smaller than the corn pot and has low sides. I don't think it's big enough for the job.

Well I got a new door gasket today and some suggestions from a stove tech about the problems i've been having about a lazy flame and sooty exhaust on my Greenfield.

First he suggested I re-install the corn pot... he told me these stoves have never really been great pellet burners with the pellet pot. He suggested I really get aggressive with my cleaning of the firebox... I should clean out the area that snakes behind the burn pot over to the exhaust pipe. He told me they tend to get caked with soot and ash in that area... never really paid much attention to that area... but I do bang the heck out of the back panel in the firebox. I'll give it a try tonite.

Plus I bought a doorway fan to help move some air into the kitchen... it's gotten a little chilly here lately with lows in the single digits. The next three weeks I won't be burning much though since my bride and her Mom are heading to sunny Florida on monday for 21 days or so. Me and the dog will be hauling spuds around the midwest...

And he gave me some calcium pellets to scatter in the hopper... sez they help turn soot deposits into a lighter ash so they clean out the vent. Some folks use sea shells... who knew?

After my visit to the parts and service dept. I walked over to the sales floor to look at a new Hastings. They had one on the floor plus a nice two year old trade-in. The new is $3199.00... the used ASKING price is $2499.00. I asked the guy about trading... hahahahaha. The trade-in price he quoted on a new stove was almost an insult. I know ya gotta start somewhere but let's be real... I have been in sales... I sold new and used cars... a low ball offer won't make ya any friends. I know I'd get 4 tons of pellets but I'd sooner save the cash....

I told him I'd sell it myself if I decided to buy another stove.

krooser said:
......And he gave me some calcium pellets to scatter in the hopper... sez they help turn soot deposits into a lighter ash so they clean out the vent. Some folks use sea shells... who knew?.....

Hmmmmm.....sounds like he's referring to "chicken scratch". But from what I know about that, it's only used to burn with corn, not wood pellets.

From the "Corn stove Forums": "When you combust corn, it actually liquefies the kernel just prior to ignition. The residue from ignition forms globs or clinkers in the burn pot that adhere to the agitator and to the burn pot itself. One way to reduce the clinker is to add 'Chicken Scratch' or calcium carbonate' to the fuel in the hopper. A quarter cup per hopper is more than enough"

imacman said:
krooser said:
......And he gave me some calcium pellets to scatter in the hopper... sez they help turn soot deposits into a lighter ash so they clean out the vent. Some folks use sea shells... who knew?.....

Hmmmmm.....sounds like he's referring to "chicken scratch". But from what I know about that, it's only used to burn with corn, not wood pellets.

From the "Corn stove Forums": "When you combust corn, it actually liquefies the kernel just prior to ignition. The residue from ignition forms globs or clinkers in the burn pot that adhere to the agitator and to the burn pot itself. One way to reduce the clinker is to add 'Chicken Scratch' or calcium carbonate' to the fuel in the hopper. A quarter cup per hopper is more than enough"

Ground oyster shells reduce corn clinkers. Adding the ground shells works great on corn, But never heard of it helping pellets.

j-takeman said:
imacman said:
krooser said:

Ground oyster shells reduce corn clinkers. Adding the ground shells works great on corn, But never heard of it helping pellets.

Just the addition of pellets will help with clinkage.

The guy said that the corn burners usually use this stuff but it can help in a pellet stove, too.

Took the door off my stove tonite to install the new gasket. I can tell you that I have never had a stove as filthy and gunked up as this one. The tube scraper won't even move...the ash traps are loaded, too. I had the guy who helps me with my truck maintenance keep an eye on the stove while I ran it straight for two weeks... I guess I should have trained him a little better.

Gave up tonite and will start the clean=up tomorrow.

krooser said:
The guy said that the corn burners usually use this stuff but it can help in a pellet stove, too.

Took the door off my stove tonite to install the new gasket. I can tell you that I have never had a stove as filthy and gunked up as this one. The tube scraper won't even move...the ash traps are loaded, too. I had the guy who helps me with my truck maintenance keep an eye on the stove while I ran it straight for two weeks... I guess I should have trained him a little better.

Gave up tonite and will start the clean=up tomorrow.
No wonder it isnt burning worth a crap! I use my corn pot w/ pellets and it burns great. I cut the ash every 1 1/2 days just like a corn clinker. I only shut down every 2 weeks or so, and pull the tube scraper once a day

Status
Not open for further replies.