Going vertical !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmuthler

Sep 18, 2016
PA
I'm not going to go into the issues we had with a direct vent exhaust on our Mount Vernon AE, but after reading a lot of entries we have decided we need to go vertical. I am planning to take the pipe from nearly ground level to above the roof line.
I would like to do the exterior in a black chimney pipe and go straight up through the eves and roof.
I will need to hire someone to do the work but I wanted to ask the forum what type of pipe will I need and where can I buy it ? Also what do i need for the bottom for clean-out access and what type of top do I need?
The pipe coming out of the house right now is a 4" pipe.
Let me know what pieces I need and where I can purchase them in black .
Thank you.

Welcome to the forum! I am curious as to what you have tried with the direct vent as the last venting option I would use is vertical through the roof. Does the stove have an outside air kit?

What problems are you having that would make you consider this option? Please explain your current venting set-up...

My stove has no more than a 4' stack on it...with no issues. No smoke in house with a controlled shutdown test, etc. No staining on the exterior siding either.

Why do you need the vertical distance? Clearance for openings, doors, windows? Deck area? Pics of the area in question would be great to see.

I've seen installs with direct horizontal vents only, most seemed problematic, lots of staining on the siding unless it was pushed off the exterior wall by a couple of feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.