Golden Eagle shuts off!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKitty

Nov 22, 2014
Westford,Mass
I have a five year old Golden Eagle Talon in my basement It.has run fairly well up until two weeks ago.First it started to load up on pellets and then would eventually burn.In fact it burned so hot that it scorched the glass.Just before it stopped working it started to howl and then shut off.Two days ago I replaced the exhaust blower ,turned it on ,it ran great and after an hour,it shut off again.Tried to start it this morning,it turns on,feeds a couple of pellets,and shuts off.Then the number two heat level light flashes.Any ideas?

Describe your vent. How long is it? How many 45 / 90 degree bends? How long is the vertical portion? How long is the horizontal portion?

More importantly, did you clean venting and deep clean when you changed out exhaust blower? If it was dying, more ash build-up would be expected inside the stove and venting.

Keep us posted...

Describe your vent. How long is it? How many 45 / 90 degree bends? How long is the vertical portion? How long is the horizontal portion?
One foot out from the stove to an elbow that has a cleanout underneath,and,then,a 36inche vertical with two 12 inch sections of vertical to an elbow,another short piece of pipe to go through the basement window to a 12 section of pipe.No cap.My makeup air comes from a two inch diameter length of PVC that also goes out through the window.All the joints are wrapped with aluminium duct tape.

More importantly, did you clean venting and deep clean when you changed out exhaust blower? If it was dying, more ash build-up would be expected inside the stove and venting.

Keep us posted...
Not that much ash when I changed out the blower.Some buildup on the blower vanes.Also they did turned reluctantly by hand.

One foot out from the stove to an elbow that has a cleanout underneath,and,then,a 36inche vertical with two 12 inch sections of vertical to an elbow,another short piece of pipe to go through the basement window to a 12 section of pipe.No cap.My makeup air comes from a two inch diameter length of PVC that also goes out through the window.All the joints are wrapped with aluminium duct tape.

Based on your description, 3" diameter vent pipe is adequate.

Hope you haven't pitched that old exhaust blower ... JIC. May want to trouble shoot the termocouples.

Status
Not open for further replies.