Good chainsaw for firewood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Something is telling me to get the MS-261. That was my initial thought but I might just be hyped on the Stihl name and drinking the koolaid. I got the Echo CS-590 today because it was stupid not to for $230 brand new in the box. I might just flip it and put it towards a MS261 which might be an all around better saw for my purpose. Lighter being one.

Something to consider is which one is easier to get parts for locally. I'm lucky as our local dealer sells both Stihl and Husqvarna, so I chose Husqvarna, now if they would have only sold Stihl that's what I would have bought.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Well I guess this AM was my lucky morning. I snagged a Stihl MS-261 for $120 off the classifieds. It appears to be in good shape and it has a powersports rental sticker on it. So I'm assuming it was a rental unit that was ran hard. I figured for the price it was still worth the gamble. I will test it out when I get home this evening. Worst case, I can sell it or have it tuned up and re-freshened.

Are the Stihl MS-261 capable of being completely rebuilt, cost effectively? I'm assuming it's worth it considering the following and it being a pro grade saw?

Well, I picked up the CS-590 brand new in box for $230 out the door. I guess this will be my heavy duty saw. What is the Echo pro series comparable to the Stihl MS261? That will be my all arounder I think!
Good for you enjoy it, I'm sure it'll work well for you. Their 50cc is the 490, that would be the match cc-wise to the 261. I personally don't think it's worth having two saws if they're only 10cc's apart in displacement.

Well I guess this AM was my lucky morning. I snagged a Stihl MS-261 for $120 off the classifieds. It appears to be in good shape and it has a powersports rental sticker on it. So I'm assuming it was a rental unit that was ran hard. I figured for the price it was still worth the gamble. I will test it out when I get home this evening. Worst case, I can sell it or have it tuned up and re-freshened.

Are the Stihl MS-261 capable of being completely rebuilt, cost effectively? I'm assuming it's worth it considering the following and it being a pro grade saw?
Wow man, that's a steal (no pun intended) if it's a good runner

You guys make me sick! Where’s the fun in a CS-590 or MS261? Go big or go home: MS660. >>

Reactions: Medic21 and JimBear
With all the saws I have if I had to only have one...

I have 261, 271, 279, 362, 462, 201

Husky

460, 562

Echo

301 and 590

if I could only keep one to use it would be the Stihl 462. Very light for a 70cc class saw, plenty of power and so far very reliable.

I have Echo CS-590 with 18" bar. It is my first and only saw. I used it for last 3 years without any problems. I'm 5'10 and 175lbs and have no problems using it.