Good cookstove for very small cabin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev

Jul 12, 2014
Muskoka
Hi
I'm building a small cabin, ~200 sq feet, which I hope to furnish with a nice little cookstove to be used as the primary heating source and cooking equipment. Its in Ontario, Canada, where the temperature might drop to -20F on the coldest days but will usually hover around 0F throughout the winter. Ive done a little research and it looks like the PE Alderlea T4 and Napolean 1150P are both good options but I'm wondering whether Ill roast myself in the process since the cabin is so small... I was considering the Englander vl-17 but Id really like to have a nicer cooking surface. You guys think Id be alright with either of these stoves in this little cabin? If not do you have any recommendations for a smaller cookstove?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I know less about navigating forums on wood stoves than wood stoves themselves, which is little, so I could use the help.

Welcome. An almost identical request was posted a couple months ago, also from Canada. It's unlikely that you will successfully heat the place that small 24/7 with a woodstove unless you are there to frequently tend it. A propane or electric heater will provide more consistent heat. That said, for wood heat and cooking consider a marine stove which is designed for similarly sized cabins.

Here is the earlier thread
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ublic-1250-vs-pe-super-step-top-27-vs.127569/

Last edited:
Thank you! Those marine stoves look great. Any idea what the heat output of the halibut is? The firebox is 11x5x6 so I'm guessing its close to that of the sardine... Its real pricey but I like the oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.