Good decision or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maharaj316

Jan 18, 2018
New Jersey
Hello all, I’m new to this community (my first post), I just purchased a Vermont Castings Merrimack wood stove insert. My fireplace is located in my den and I have solid concrete floors. There’s about 325-350 sqft in that room and opens into my kitchen which is another 300 sqft. My fireplace was worthless and decided to buy this unit from a local shop and will be installed in a few days.

Here’s my question to you all, will this make a difference in heating the room? Will I really save money in heating bills like everyone says? Keep in mind, I didn’t buy it to heat the whole house, I have two floors plus a basement. I wanted the den with cold concrete floors to be more comfortable since it’s the most occupied room in my house. Any thoughts? I know I could’ve spent less and bought other brands/models but the wife picked this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your going to be surprised how well this will heat. Other factors aside. (Install/climate/ home insulation) I think its safe to say you'll be able to heat your first floor well and maybe second.. not so much your basement.

Reactions: saewoody
You’d do well to get a pad and rug down on that concrete. We noticed an enormous difference in our basement, with/without carpet, on that concrete floor.

Many (most?) here are doing almost 100% of their hearing with a single woodstove, so yes... it really will save you money on heating. How much money depends on how you move the heat around, and how much warmer you keep it, now that you have the stove.

I save a few thousand dollars per year on heating oil, by heating with wood. Of course, I manage to undo most of those savings by constantly buying better wood processing equipment and new stoves.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I plan on putting tile on the floor and I know that will make it even colder. It was a decision made prior to this purchase and I eventually thought about how much colder it would be. I currently have pergo floors over the concrete. I do plan to get a larger rug to help mask the cold floors. Also, my ceiling isn’t a standard 8-9ft. It goes all the way up to the roof. I have a ceiling fan to help push the hot air down. Also the stove has a built in fan. I’m excited and can’t wait.

Our family has been enjoying our Wood stove and have not needed to use the central HVAC at all this winter! Heating 1600 sq ft. After 3 months of wood stove use, we have saved close to $1500 in heating costs (comparing the same time period). As it is, the unit will pay for itself in about 3 years.

Best thing - no longer afraid of opening the utility bill. Where I live the utility is a virtual monopoly and their "winter pricing" for a KWH is criminal in my opinion. Thank God we can be quite warm and comfortable using wood heat. Welcome to the club. Even cooked chili on the stove!

I save a few thousand dollars per year on heating oil, by heating with wood. Of course, I manage to undo most of those savings by constantly buying better wood processing equipment and new stoves.

I read every one of your Gear threads this year, brother. "Most of"? :)

To the OP: I got a wood insert to help out with the oil bill a little bit, and it pretty much knocked the oil bill down to zero (though I confess I have also been spending a lot of my savings on trucks and saws and so forth). As Ashful has already said, any heater will struggle with uninsulated concrete/stone floors and walls; if you want to give the stove a fair chance, do some insulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
To the OP: I got a wood insert to help out with the oil bill a little bit, and it pretty much knocked the oil bill down to zero (though I confess I have also been spending a lot of my savings on trucks and saws and so forth). As Ashful has already said, any heater will struggle with uninsulated concrete/stone floors and walls; if you want to give the stove a fair chance, do some insulation.[/QUOTE]

I have insulated my walls after I bought the house. I may decide to do spray foam next. Other than that, I can’t afford to have a raised floor with insulation underneath. That’s 10k plus. Already had that quote and that’s just the rasied part and insulation not including the backer board and tile on top. A rug will have to suffice for now.

I heat almost all of my 1400 square foot 1st and 2nd floor with my FP25.

Those who say not so much your basement... it depends how cold you will tolerate your basement. Mine doesn't seem to drop below 50 degrees with any temperatures above 15 degrees. It did get colder this winter, but I fired up the stove down there to help out my insert.

I read every one of your Gear threads this year, brother. "Most of"? :)
One thing leads to another. New 7000 lb. trailer to haul more wood meant I needed to upgrade my pickup truck to (legally) pull the heavy trailer. Then, of COURSE you need a winch to pull logs onto the trailer, and a nice compact utility tractor with loader to drag them off, and...

I can’t afford to have a raised floor with insulation underneath. That’s 10k plus. Already had that quote and that’s just the rasied part and insulation not including the backer board and tile on top. A rug will have to suffice for now.
I think you’ll do well enough, esp. if the rug covers most of the floor. My wife wouldn’t let me re-carpet the basement, after we tore out the prior owner’s stuff, so I just bought a bunch of large area rugs. The rugs alone helped a little, but it got much better when I put nice rubber-backed non-slip 3/8” thick wool pads under each of the larger rugs. The pad is a much better insulator than the rug.

Then a few weeks ago, I was setting up a new play area for one of the kids on our first floor, and stole one of those basement rugs (with pad) to put on the oak floor upstairs. Immediate difference in the basement... I need to get a new rug for down there, now.