1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Good Gloves?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by tcassavaugh, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks Guys, I appreciate EVERYBODYs suggestions and imput. Now the quest begins....

hago

cass

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jlove1974

jlove1974 Member

Loc:
    Piedmont of NC
    At my current location today is like 40 degrees. I could wear jersey gloves and be fine
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    8 degrees here and thats the hi for today!
  4. jlove1974

jlove1974 Member

Loc:
    Piedmont of NC
    No prob man. If I were searching for a pair of lifetime gloves, start at your local hardware store see what they sell. If you get sticker shock, proceed
    to TSC or HF and lower your expectations while lowering your budget ;)
  5. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    I get a pair for Christmas each year.. I think they come from Menards... They are leather palms with a spandex outers.. They are great for wood working (not the wood pile) well they are good for the wood pile but you will only get about a year out of them. And they are too expensive to just beat up . LOL

I have a pair of DeWALT gloves that are pretty good in single digit weather.

temp read -6 when I left for work this morning. the dogs kept a hole in the water dish.
  6. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio

Just bought some carhartt boots. Guess where they were made ? That's right China. Cant hardly find anything totaly made in the us anymore.
  7. jlove1974

jlove1974 Member

Loc:
    Piedmont of NC
    And so it was with my Wolverine boots, and within 2 months the seams on the toes started leaking. I bought a pair of hunting boots this year, from ALDI of all places,
    and they did the same thing. Only diff was the price $15 vs $100. Have to use gorilla glue on both to seal them up.
    Either you go out of your mind trying to find quality, or adopt a different attitude (which I have mostly done). It's a disposable society we live in.
  8. tcassavaugh

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    quote]Just bought some carhartt boots. Guess where they were made ? That's right China. Cant hardly find anything totally made in the us anymore.[/quote]

I just had a Carhart Jacket come that i ordered from Dicks Sporting goods. I had gone to the Carhart web site prior and the Jackets, at least this one, is still crafted in the good ole USA. I try to find things made in the U.S. but its getting hard to do.

This was a lot livelier discussion subject than i thought it would be.Thanks again for all the insight into the different styles types and pricing for gloves.

hago

cass
  9. par0thead151

par0thead151 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    south eastern wisconsin
    maybe im just cheap, but i use the cheapest gloves i can find. usually the $.99 ones from harbor freight.
    i go through 2-3 pairs a season, and keep just as many in my truck as when the gloves get wet, so do my hands. and then they get cold.
  10. jlove1974

jlove1974 Member

Loc:
    Piedmont of NC
    frugality is the strong kung fu in the face of this economy. Fortunately for me, my upbringing required me to be pretty frugal so I feel prepared lol.
    My longtime friend is the type that just goes and buys more than he needs in everything. I assume he's on the brink of financial disaster now that he's unemployed.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    When our local hardware went to being an Ace Hardware, they now carry only the Ace brand gloves and not Wells Lamont. There is a huge difference but I understand why they have to buy the Ace brands now. Sad, but that's what we have. Oh, we also have the True Values and others but they all carry the same junk. Seems nobody carries any good winter work gloves any more. Also, they all seem to think Thinsulate is the way to go. Not so! I'll take heavy pile lining any day. Thinsulate is okay until you start picking up cold wood; then the cold goes right through them.

One more point. You indeed can find some great warm gloves.....for sport. But those things just won't last while handling wood.
  12. oldspark

oldspark Guest

You are paying for the Carharrt name, my sister used to work in glove factory that made gloves, you guessed it some had the name and some did not but were the same glove.
  13. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    You can tout those all you want. My post was about a good pair that was cheap too.
  14. tcassavaugh

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    our local Ace carries the same stuff...junk ranging from a couple of dollars to specialty gloves around 15-20 or more (they aint so special). The local True Value must be more independant as it carries a little bit more variety and a wider pricing with the same ole problems with quality and longevity. I remember the days when you could get a wool insert in your "choppers mitten" or some of the leather gloves. I still have a pair of liners around from my days someplace. Normally my hands don't have a problem staying warm in unlined gloves as it rarely gets too cold down this way but its a little nippely this morning waking up to crisp 15 degrees out....it finally got up to 18 and not expected out of the 20's.
  15. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    That part I get. Just like Dennis said not a lot of choices at are store's so a good glove at the tsc for winter is limited. There already putting spring crap out. Bet you could sale a bunch of carhart stuff here today at a street corner. There is an off brand at the tsc that is better than the carharts heavier that what my gf wears and much cheaper and better. If I ever wear my bibs out (bought 2002) I going to make that switch. My budget for every thing is tight, but I also have to get it done with out frostbite.
  16. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Loc:
    South Central Alabama
    I had started a nice long post about the three industries that have basically been killed around here, much of it gone to Mexico, China, India, South America, etc.,. But, I figured I would be preaching to the choir. Suffice it to say that (I believe) the average US citizen doesn't care enough about the one trillion dollar debt that we owe China (nor the other 13 trillion we owe elsewhere) to let it bother them...they're trying to make ends meet and cheap china stuff helps them (somewhat) meet that goal. The fact that buying these imports is only feeding the problem is not included in their immediate plan of survival. The illegal/undocumented folks mostly don't have a clue and are here for the ride (either gov programs or untaxed wages)....but, they too are trying to survive and flee from a very bad environment south of the border. Then there's the folks that can see the problem and are concerned about it (most of us here on the forum fall in this group). We look for an item but all we can find is imports, so we buy it. Eventually we're numbed to the fact and if we even make an attempt to find an item "Made in the USA", it's a weak attempt. My Dickies t-shirt is made in Honduras and my Fruit-of-the-Loom boxer shorts are made in El Salvador....these are basic items and are thought of as USA brands but... Big problems, but who's got the answers?

Back on topic... I had used some of those cheap, "split cowhide" gloves with the cuffs on them....amazed me how quickly they wore out handling firewood. I picked up a couple of pairs of the cheap ($1.49) "Cotton Rubber Grip Gloves" at HF the other day (says "Western Safety" or something on them) and so far they seem to be holding up surprisingly well...so far. I like them better, too, because wood chips/trash doesn't go down the cuff being as they fit the wrist snuggly. They're no good for a winter glove but they work well in my climate. If I wear them while doing sign language it comes out in Mandarin. :shut:

Ed
  17. bucketboy

bucketboy Member

Loc:
    central ontario
    i use my lineman gloves we use at work , i find they wear well if anything the stiching comes out first before the leather gives up. worth the cost :)
  18. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Loc:
    South Central Alabama
    Forget the HF rubberized gloves...they ended up only lasted through a little over a 1/2 cord of stacking and resplitting larger splits/rounds before they started getting small holes in them. I'll be looking elsewhere. Linesman's gloves, that's a thought.

Ed
  19. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I used to buy Frosty Grips at Speedway gas stations. Now my work provides us with a similar thermal, dipped type of glove, so I bring home my half worn out gloves and finish them off at the woodpile. I'd go back to the Frosty Grips if I had to buy gloves though. They're relatively cheap, relatively warm, and relatively durable.
  20. tcassavaugh

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    just wore out two fingertips of most recent set of gloves stacking some new wood. guess its off to find another pair, or mabe duct tape the fingertips for awhile :)

cass
  21. jlove1974

jlove1974 Member

Loc:
    Piedmont of NC
  22. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Lots of posts about gloves but it seems I must be the only one who works when it is cold enough that I need insulated gloves..... Those are almost extinct now.
  23. tcassavaugh

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    i have insulated (Thinsulate) buckskin gloves that i use when its cold here but i don't use them for heavy duty work such as handling or cutting wood. more for driving and general stuff outside. Think i got them at Cabalas years ago.

cass
  24. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Ya, that is the problem. Lots of insulated gloves but none made for working. I also have not had good luck with thinsulate and that is what most are going to.
  25. CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I don't have "good, long wearing gloves", but I do have gloves that are EXTREMELY cheap so it's not a problem to throw them away.

I'll give you a little back story on how I discovered them.

I had heard that the latex/rubber dipped/coated gloves last a while with wood. I had also heard that the thinner ones last longer because the rubber doesn't peel off in chunks quite as easily.

So I bought 2 pairs at Menards for $3.97 hoping they'd last me through the winter. It turns out they only lasted about 1 week each. BUT, just as I was getting to the end of the life of the second pair, Menards ran a special on a 3-pack of really thin, cheap rubber dipped gloves. They were free after rebate so I had nothing to lose by trying them. I grabbed the limit on them and took them home and tried them. These things are paper thin, but I think that's the silver lining to them. They're so thin that the coating doesn't peel off, it just cracks and wears down. I've been using the same 2 pair of gloves since about mid-September; just used them today, in fact. The one pair has just started to get a hole in the right middle finger tip; the other pair is still going strong.

The gloves are RW brand, they come in a 3-pack. The fabric is plain white, the rubber is blue.

I think the 3-pack normally sells for less than $5. So for $5 you can have gloves that will last about 1 year of moderate use IMHO. I'd rather buy cheap gloves that need replaced than expensive ones that still need replaced...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.