Good graphics on EV versus Fossil Vehicle efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Any speculation why drivetrain losses are so much higher in the EV? Thermal losses of the motors?

Any speculation why drivetrain losses are so much higher in the EV? Thermal losses of the motors?

Its due to the math... the drivetrain losses in terms of power are probably similar, but the total power in (the denominator on the fraction) is only 20% as big.

Its due to the math... the drivetrain losses in terms of power are probably similar, but the total power in (the denominator on the fraction) is only 20% as big.
Very good point. Need normalized to some standard comparable value.

Because they have lumped the motor loss and drivetrain into one figure, if you do the same for the gasoline car the “drivetrain” loss is 71-77%.

Gen Next weighs in.

ev.jpg

Youthful optimism. For the 13 y/o, it's 3 years before they are allowed to drive. Unlikely it'll all be electric then.

It will be like the built in anti theft feature on vehicles with standard transmissions, very few under thirties know how to drive a standard (and few companies sell them).

I am still waiting for an EV maker to put in a (fake) clutch pedal, shifter and tach (and maybe audio feedback), and to give the driver a 'game' to play while they are driving their EV, complete with simulated acceleration bumps and a gold star if they do a good job.

Ofc, that would probably be deemed illegal bc it would lead to distracted driving and a statistical increase in accidents, nvm.

It will be like the built in anti theft feature on vehicles with standard transmissions, very few under thirties know how to drive a standard (and few companies sell them).
Lol. That's how I see my stick shift. (Even tho it's not worthy of the effort to steal it...)

Some folks get intimidated by my Unimogs, One has an 8 speed with a reverse lever (only 4 speeds in reverse) and the other has a high/low/reverse shifter with a 4 speed with an air splitter on the stick.