1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Good News For The Forum

Post in 'New Forum Hints and your Questions & Suggestions!' started by Jafo, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Jafo

Jafo Member

Loc:
    Northern NY
    I was a little queezy watching the battle between vBulletin and Xenforo (the makers of this forum software) and thought XF might just buckle under. But looks like XF and VB settled and XF is moving forward:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/lawsuits-over-next.45107/

It is good to know because this is good forum software, but their hands were a bit tied until the lawsuit was over.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Good to hear. Xenforo is REAL nice from a users perspective. They offer lots of neat features that VB doesnt seem to have. The forum developers here appear to have embraced them. This is a real nice layout with lots of great "Alert" type features. Hearth is probably the nicest layout and useability of any of the forums I frequent.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yep - we knew about that from the start, but given that our old forum SW hadn't been worked on for 5 years prior and is pretty much abandoned (Expression Engine forum), I figured in the worst case we would get 4+ years out of Xenforo and then move onto something else! On the net, 4 years is like an eternity!

I'm glad for the developers. I like to see folks be able to get some of the benefits of their hard work. So far, they basically worked for 2-3 years for nothing. That's tough!
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    The funny thing is that is the VBB owners were not so rabid and "corporate" since the buyouts, we would probably have moved to that platform. But I don't think they really care much. They are now part of a group which includes Nielsen ratings...pretty big stuff.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I brought up the possibility of XF losing and going away when Craig was looking for new software. He said it wasn't gonna happen. He nailed that one.