Good News Regarding BK Customer SVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
Some of you might recall the problems I have been having with my BK princess. Long and short of it is that the door HINGES were welded on crooked causing the door to be nearly impossible to seal. I discussed (about mid december) with the BKVP how to repair this stove. His first suggestion was that he would send me a set of hinges and pay a welder to repair the stove. I did not like this idea one bit, and offered to send the stove to him at my cost to and he could do whatever he wanted with it! He took this idea and added that he would repair the stove and pay the return freight. We agreed to let this happen POST season for the benefit of both of us. I sent the stove in a couple months ago (they sent a LTL truck to pick it up) and a couple weeks later announced it repaired and on the way back. They had to replace both hinges as well as the gold door. I received the stove and all looks pretty good, could use a little paint in a few spots from the shipping but thats easily remedied.. The good part it follows: BK did what they said they would do, stood behind their product and will not let me pay for my half of the shipping even tho I have asked several times for a price so I can take care of it. Now, as you can imagine I have NOT been able to burn the stove to see how well this took care of my issue but I really hope the stove works as well as it did the day I brought it home (back when the door seal was new and all was GREAT). Unfortunately I can say that the dealer DID tell me to pound sand when I asked for warranty service on this stove (just as the BKVP suggested they might). This dealer is in Wisconsin and I am in Alabama, so they really can get away with telling my no thanks......For now.... I travel a LOT and intend fully on visiting "Great American Homes and Fireplaces in Menomonie Wisconsin" when I am in the neighborhood just to let them know that its not right, and they should have helped and not just took my money and walked away. But, regardless I can say that BK stood behind their product and went above and beyond what they HAD to do to help me.. I truly appreciate it!

THANK YOU BK,
Sincerely,
Jason

Reactions: melissa71
I think it's great that BK did the right thing, and that the dealer is lousy for leaving you hanging.

One more happy customer. It's nice when a company stands behind their product.

I was thinking about your stove the other day. I'm glad they've taken care of the problem up to this point. I hope it burns the way it should once it cools off down south.

Keep us posted! ::-)

Good to hear it. Sounds like they did the right thing and you are ready for the season.

Love it when you hear of a company -- any company -- standing behind their product and making good on a problem. Every company that builds things makes a mistake now and then . . . it's how they treat the customer and how they stand behind their products that says a lot about their corporate philosophy . . . and whether or not I will continue to do business with them or consider their business in the future.

Love it when you hear of a company -- any company -- standing behind their product and making good on a problem. Every company that builds things makes a mistake now and then . . . it's how they treat the customer and how they stand behind their products that says a lot about their corporate philosophy . . . and whether or not I will continue to do business with them or consider their business in the future.

I agree completely. We all make mistakes, and its how you deal with them when they come back. I appreciate everyone's help with this and I am looking forward to getting it put back in and running this winter. I am thinking of switching the single wall out for double wall to give me just a touch more draw (guess it never hurts).. Maybe this will help as well, although it didn't seem like I needed it when the stove was new and all the gaskets were tight.. But hey, its only money!

Jason

Glad it all worked out. BKVP seems like a good guy and likes to help. I emailed BK last week with some questions and about 15 minutes later BKVP called me with the answers.

What was the deal with the dealer? Was the problem the distance? Was it because he'd be stepping on the toes of a more local dealer?

Glad it all worked out. BKVP seems like a good guy and likes to help. I emailed BK last week with some questions and about 15 minutes later BKVP called me with the answers.

What was the deal with the dealer? Was the problem the distance? Was it because he'd be stepping on the toes of a more local dealer?

Yes, the BKVP was very helpful in the end, at first he seemed a little irritated that I was calling him directly but I think once he understood I had NO dealer support and was having to go at it on my own he lightened up.

The dealer was sympathetic but not helpful. He said he was not involved in warranties, thats BK's problem once and another time said he had requested warranty svc from BK but they did not respond.. I do not have a local dealer, NONE in alabama, and the one in TN does not stock BK or reccomend them! I actually was given this guy in wisconsins name from a user on here who said they would not mind shipping one to me. The dealer also failed on a couple other things as well. One thing he did NOT fail on was sending a bill. He sent me a door gasket to try and get the stove fixed made sure to charge me full retail as well as shipping for it. I agreed to pay so no big deal, however they billed me for 2 more months after the check cleared the bank! I know better now, but what can you do! I was not looking for a deal when I bought it I just wanted the stove and he would ship it to me, or technically it was drop shipped to me from BK directly..

Thanks again,
Jason

Ive called BK direct a few times and they've been great every time Ive called. Hope your stove is fixed and you can relax and enjoy the heat this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.