Good stove with a small footprint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you are wanting to heat mostly or entirely with wood and have a super-insulated house, you might want to prioritize the ability to do long, low burns over appearance or size.

I know I really appreciate being able to turn the stove way down for the warmer months... which is 2/3 of the heating season. (And this year, also half of January.)

If you are wanting to heat mostly or entirely with wood and have a super-insulated house, you might want to prioritize the ability to do long, low burns over appearance or size.
I know I really appreciate being able to turn the stove way down for the warmer months... which is 2/3 of the heating season. (And this year, also half of January.)
If you read what she's posted so far, you'll understand that two of her top priorities are size (clearance) and appearance. The BKs' looks range from generic to downright toad-like. <> Say, did you know you can put your stove in your signature? ;)
Yes, it is nice to be able to run low, long burns and not mess with the stove as often but you have to weigh that against added cat maintenance, more gaskets, the need for a taller stack to prevent smoke roll-out (in the case of BK,) and the possibility of gunking up the chimney with low burns (necessitating more frequent cleaning.)
With a well-insulated house, the 'pulse-and-glide' output of a non-cat works fine, since the house loses heat very slowly between loadings.
I will say that so far in my experience with my SIL's PE, I have to stay on top of the burn on a new load so that I cut the air when I need to and don't get too much wood gassing at the outset. It's easier with the cats to just fire the new load to get the stove to temp, then cut the air to yield a no-flame, cat-only burn when you're up to temp. No need to assess the burn and adjust the air as much. But as I've developed my eye for the fire and used the flue meter as a cue, running the non-cat is becoming easier even though I don't have many burns under my belt.

We got a Nova wood stove from MF Fire last year and love it. We heat about 1,200 sq. ft. with it and it does a great job. Since it sounds like your house is very well insulated it would be probably be the right size. The stove itself is small-medium in actual size with a nice big window.