Good stuff going on at the Dept. of Energy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Looks good. What I'd like to see is some sort of low-cost "home energy audit" program. I think that would do more good than just about anything. Most people have no idea what to do or how to go about it.

precaud said:
Looks good. What I'd like to see is some sort of low-cost "home energy audit" program. I think that would do more good than just about anything. Most people have no idea what to do or how to go about it.

That was one of the focuses of the Home Star bill, referred to in media land as Cash for Caulkers. One stream of the program would have used a baseline audit and an after audit to determine energy savings acheived from the work done by a homeowner, then credited them X dollars for X % savings.

Semipro said:
I'm encouraged by the type of work that the DOE is doing nowadays. I thought some here would find it interesting.

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/news/enn.cfm

Some good stuff. I'm not elated with the $ ammounts on some of those announcements, but as they say, a few tens of millions here, few tens of millions there, pretty soon your talking about some real money.

precaud said:

Good point. I'm getting ready to pay someone $300 for this but in includes an infiltration test and thermal scan. I think some energy providers will do a basic audit for free.

I'd bet that in 90% of the cases someone with some knowledge and experience could prescribe ways to address the biggest 75% of common offenders (infiltration, lack of insulation, inefficiencies).

Status
Not open for further replies.