Got a free ash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
Finally got over to the neighbors today and cut down a tree for him. His saw wasn't big enough. And it was near the house so to be safe I cut and wedged it then pushed it over with the tractor. He gave me the trunk for cutting it down for him. I was fun to fire up the 2186 with the 32 inch bar. Even the cattle fence in the tree did not slow it down!

IMG_1215.jpg

Its a little bigger than I though before I lifted it!
I had to lift it off center because of all the branches in the way. When I lifted it the left rear wheel came up over a 18 inches. And I had some pucker factor going on there. I need to get the rear tires loaded!!

IMG_1216.jpg

Its a hard to see what you are doing through the window. Using a 90 hp tractor is a little over kill for loading logs. But its better that than my back!

IMG_1217.jpg

One nice thing about using the big tractor. Was that I could run the chain on the tongs longer. And cut slabs off of both sides of the log to make it light enough to handle by hand before unhooking it.

IMG_1219.jpg

Billy

That's a nice looking piece of ash. I like your log lift; might give it a try this year.

there is no such thing as over kill. Nice tractor by the way.

Yea nice tractors, the small one is cuter than a bugs ear!

Nice ash but better tractor. How old is the small tractor and the splitter?

zap

Thanks S&W

I was surprised at how well the tongs worked. The biggest problem is with all the jumping in and out of the tractor. Pick up the first log set it on the splitter. Split a few slabs off and pull the tongs off. Get in the tractor move to the next log get out finish splitting the first log. Set tongs on second log pick and put on splitter and replete as necessary.

Thanks Archer39

I gotta get all the use out of it I can its Dad's and its supposed to go to the farm in a month or so.

Thanks Oldspark

I gave $500 and a mean horse that would bite and kick 6 years ago I and I still feel it was a great deal for me.

normal_T1.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Thanks Zap

Its a 1964 farmall cub. My Grandpa and brother built the splitter mic to late 80's

Billy

Nice looking tractors , since the big tractor will be gone maybe you can put a log lift on the splitter to lift the big ones.

Good on Billy. I wouldn't worry too much about the back end raising with that log on. That is some heavy stuff. My neighbor got some long forks for his. Trouble is, the first set he got bent the first time he used it. Then he got some heavy ones and it works like a charm.

boxerdogheidi said:
HEY ARCHER: Is that a boxer driving that truck??

Yep, but i don't give him the keys he is not allowed to drive. He is still to young haha.

Thanks Tony

I am going to build a splitter that the beam is higher and kicks the wood off the back.My back is sore this morning from bending over the splitter. My Grandpa built that one almost 25 years ago and I want to leave it the way he built it.

Thanks Dennis

I want a grapple bucket for it. But its gona be a while before I can afford the materials.

Billy

Great score and awesome tractors!

Cowboy Billy said:
I am going to build a splitter that the beam is higher and kicks the wood off the back.

Where are you going with that? Some kind of chute?

Thanks Rdust

Hi S&W

Perhaps I should have said pushes off the back of the splitter. Like on a timberwolf. Hopefully it will work out to where I can back my fourwheeler trailer under it and the splits can fall in the trailer so I do not have to handle it as much. But even if not it will be nice if once I get a pile I can just move forward rather than having to clear around the splitter after splitting a few rounds.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.