1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Got caught up

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by basswidow, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    Rented a 24 ton splitter for $ 60 and split 3 cords in about 9.5 hrs. It could be used either horizontal or vertical. I can't tell you how great it was to just sit and split. I didn't like the stand vs a jack stand - it was extremely heavy to lift onto the hitch and move around.

One tree I scrounged ( the rounds with the brown centers near the splitter ) must be sweet gum, because it was all stringy. I used the splitter on all the rounds - and I will finish it off with a saw.

This picture is when I was just getting started and took a break for lunch. My 3 year old is in the picture - but my 10 year old actually enjoyed operating the splitter and watching it work.

Who ever created a splitter is a bonifide genius and deserves some sort of national notoritety. I'm eating crow - thinking I could hand split all this.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      62.5 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Nice work! I need to help dad split this weekend, but I have a mild hernia, and I'm supposed to be "taking it easy". :-(
  3. bill*67

bill*67 Member

Loc:
    upper michigan
    nice picture of the splitter and your little foreman. how many cord do you have there? keep the little guy interested in your operation, in time he will be a big help!
  4. Eisele

Eisele New Member

Loc:
    South Jersey
    Nice job with the wood. When I was a young kid my dad and grandfather used to let me control the lever on the splitter and now my dad gets to control that very same lever. Its very good to get them interested at a young age good job.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I walked around my processing area assessing how much snow there is still to melt before I can get started on the splitting. I even poked at the snow with a shovel as if it would speed it up. Looks like it will be a few more weeks of waiting.

My two sons have grown and moved away and the wife's no help so I get to pull my own lever.
  6. Stevebass4

Stevebass4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin MA
    you and me both LLigetfa ;)
  7. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Nice work Basswidow. Its great to get the kids involved, whether it speeds you up or slows ya down. That bright green grass in the pic was starting to hurt my eyes. Enjoy the rest of your splitting this Easter weekend. Maybe hid some eggs in those piles of splits and have the older one start stacking it. :lol: I rented a splitter last year myself and will never do it any other way again unless I'm camping. Cheers. N of 60
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Yes, it isn't fair that you have green grass already....

Good job and glad you have a good helper.
  9. basswidow

Loc:
    Milton GA
    Wednesday 4/9 I cut two truckloads of Cherry in the snow (flurries).

Thursday 4/10 I split it all in short sleeves - mid sixties.

I am not sure how much I have - the pictures don't do justice, the far pile is very wide. I won't know till I get it all stacked.

The thing about the green grass - is mowing. My neighbors are already cutting. I hate mowing, because most of my yard is too sloped and I have a walk behind. But I am happy for spring.

Happy easter all!

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    iam going with 4.25 cords in them 2 piles
  11. basswidow

Loc:
    Milton GA
    That would be great - if so. 4 is all I need per winter.

Can't wait to get it stacked. Need to get a big hand truck. Tractor Supply - here I come.
  12. terrywillie

terrywillie New Member

Loc:
    N. E. IN
    I even cheated on that. I got one of those DR power wagons.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.