Got cherry lots.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Massive cherry just came down in my woods and took a couple with it,26 inches across at least. this will be a nice spring project. This 10 acres sure can produce with mother natures help.
c1.jpgc2.jpgc3.jpgc4.jpgc5.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
A couple years back a windstorm took down 19 big cherrys like these in a small woodlot...took me awhile but i got it all out..

I wish, but that cherry wouldn't be wasted in a stove around here.

I wish, but that cherry wouldn't be wasted in a stove around here.
I hear you,but they'll pay nothing for it around my area,so i'll burn and cook with it next year.Great wood until January,even then in the BK,the heat is great.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I hear you,but they'll pay nothing for it around my area,so i'll burn and cook with it next year.Great wood until January,even then in the BK,the heat is great.
The man called me up to look at the storm damage...I looked and all of these trees looked as if they had just been laid over...no violent damage to them at all...I walked back up to his house and asked him if he was sure that he wanted me to cut this up? He said yes...I said you do realize that those big beautiful straight logs have value dont you? He said he talked to 2 different loggers and apparently they told him no or that they had little value...I found this hard to believe as they were some of the most beautiful and straight cherry trees I had ever seen...I cut for weeks in there.

He said he talked to 2 different loggers and apparently they told him no or that they had little value.
Some saw mills have specific land minimums that they will except tree's from, this is because smaller plots of tree's are more likely to have some type of metal in them vs tree's from a large virgin forest. In my part of the world the larger "mill tree's" are suspect, about 150 yrs ago a lot of our timber was harvested for lime kilns, charcoal, lumber for NYC & boat building - the big tree's left over are usually the property marker tree's. As the land was repurposed fields were plowed, rocks were picked and made into long sweeping endless walls, new tree's that were popping up got wrapped with barb wire to keep dairy cows from roaming to far. These new tree's are now over 100 yrs old and quite big, the old grazing fields have long since grown back over into forest, they also occasionally have hunks of old fencing in the middle of the tree, which is such a treat to hit, especially when you are working one with a new chain.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yep, loggers won't pay much unless they can get several loads out and preferably from "woods" only, not yards. I have had people argue with me when I see a nice big cherry or walnut and say "beautiful tree", they try to tell me it's worth 10-12k, I try to explain how it really works... They find out eventually.

My brother & I had a logger come to look at black walnuts in my Mom's yard a few years back. We had 6-8 that we wanted down, then had him pick about that many more to make a semi load. He was super impressed with the quality of the tree's - size & straightness (veneer quality he said, straight to a semi-local door manufacturer). We were going to make very little versus the mess and loss of canopy in our opinion, so we didn't do it. Sold the house and the new owner clear cut all the walnuts out, probably 2-3 truckloads; so I'm guessing much better $, but what a mess in the yard...

Reactions: TreePointer
Yep, loggers won't pay much unless they can get several loads out and preferably from "woods" only, not yards. I have had people argue with me when I see a nice big cherry or walnut and say "beautiful tree", they try to tell me it's worth 10-12k, I try to explain how it really works... They find out eventually.

My brother & I had a logger come to look at black walnuts in my Mom's yard a few years back. We had 6-8 that we wanted down, then had him pick about that many more to make a semi load. He was super impressed with the quality of the tree's - size & straightness (veneer quality he said, straight to a semi-local door manufacturer). We were going to make very little versus the mess and loss of canopy in our opinion, so we didn't do it. Sold the house and the new owner clear cut all the walnuts out, probably 2-3 truckloads; so I'm guessing much better $, but what a mess in the yard...
I'm on the same page as you,i've many walnuts but as long as i'm alive they'll never be cut,as well as tons of cherry,hickory,red oak ,hard maple,some 70 years old.Enough stuff falls to keep one busy.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I grabbed a 5 X 10 trailer full of cherry last week. All for the OWB!

I know, I know-it's highly valuable furniture lumber. I know one guy who had a room of milled cherry. One wall stacked full- 20' long. For years and years it sat there. Ended up being sold (more like given away) upon his death. :rolleyes:

Love cherry. One of my favorite woods to burn. Especially with the mild winters we’ve been having the last few years. It seems to be just right. Those trees look nice and straight for the most part as well. Great score!

Some saw mills have specific land minimums that they will except tree's from, this is because smaller plots of tree's are more likely to have some type of metal in them vs tree's from a large virgin forest. In my part of the world the larger "mill tree's" are suspect, about 150 yrs ago a lot of our timber was harvested for lime kilns, charcoal, lumber for NYC & boat building - the big tree's left over are usually the property marker tree's. As the land was repurposed fields were plowed, rocks were picked and made into long sweeping endless walls, new tree's that were popping up got wrapped with barb wire to keep dairy cows from roaming to far. These new tree's are now over 100 yrs old and quite big, the old grazing fields have long since grown back over into forest, they also occasionally have hunks of old fencing in the middle of the tree, which is such a treat to hit, especially when you are working one with a new chain.
That might of very well been the reasoning behind the loggers comments...I never encountered one single nail or piece of fence in any of it...

Love cherry. One of my favorite woods to burn. Especially with the mild winters we’ve been having the last few years. It seems to be just right. Those trees look nice and straight for the most part as well. Great score!

I love it too . . . especially processing it . . . only problem is I keep stopping to sniff it while splitting it. My wife caught me sniffing the wood one time unbeknownst to me until I heard her yell at me "What in the heck are you doing?"