Got my first woodstove!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithm1979

Dec 22, 2012
WNY
Been looking at craigslist for a while, also looking at new. Was hoping that the Englander's would go on sale at home Depot but no luck. Found a pacific energy super 27, manufactured 1999 with the stainless chimney for $400. Guy said they just moved into the house, stove was there but he's not interested in burning. (didn't know that was possible) :)Really wasn't looking for anything that high end, but it seems like decent epa stoves are few and far between on the used market. I'm going to take it to the local pacific energy dealer and have them check it over, just make sure it's safe. Any idea as to what they might charge for something like that? Now I gotta get cutting! I fell into a great source. Free and unlimited. Pics of the stove and wood coming soon.

Congratulations. That's a winning stove and a great price. Stick with us and go over your installation with pictures and details for stove and flue. Do you have several cords of wood already stacked and drying? If not, get them now.

Reactions: PapaDave
Congrats! You'll love the heat.

Sound good Smith and welcome to the nut house as Scotty Overkill would say. You said the right thing "PICTURES COMING"

Don't know how long you've been lurking, but the amount of help I've received here has been amazing.

I burned bad wood for two months when I first bought my stove (despite buying "seasoned" wood). Best advice I ever got was to get better wood.

When you begin cutting, look for dead standing with bark peeling off. Look for ash, silver maple, box elder...they dry quick. Avoid oak other than stacking for 2 to 3 years down the road.

I have cut some dead wood that is ready to be thrown in the fire immediately. I have also cut wood (oak) that has been lying around dead for 10 years that is saturated with water.

I'd get a moisture meter (menards) and start figuring out how dry the wood is to help you sort your stacks.

I know about having the wood ready! I've been lurking here for quite a while and that's been drilled into my head. Unfortunately, had a hard time convincing my wife that we needed to get wood before the stove. But I'm going to be cutting as much as I can now.

No kidding about the amount of help and knowledge on this board. It's pretty amazing. I went from knowing nothing to considering myself pretty knowledgeable. Of course the true test of the knowledge will come when it is time to burn. I'm going to be cutting my wood about as small as I can to try and get it as dry as possible for next year. Also will be looking for the lightweights to get some quick drying.

Nice Score! Welcome to the forum.

I recently bought a Spectrum, built in '95, for $350. It is essentially the same stove, but I didn't get any pipe. You done good.

Status
Not open for further replies.