1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Got Ripped Off By a Firewood Dealer - Any tips for Drying wood quickly?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Parkview154, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Bluerubi

Bluerubi Member

Loc:
    Auburn, NH
    Kiln drying would defeat the benefit of humidity being added to the house. What I really need is a few chickens running around to eat the bugs that come off the drying wood. This plan is really coming together!
    milleo and Joful like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    No such thing as seasoned wood locally in the sense that people on Hearth use the term. At best, you'll get logs cut last year, split this summer.

It is, what it is. Nobody will pay a premium for 2 yr + aged wood with a 15-20% MC. They havent the first clue what that even means. The general public doesnt look at firewood the same way as the "aficionados" here on Hearth do, they just dont care.
    mellow likes this.
  3. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    Some one around my region got some press about building a solar dryer out of old windows - stored perhaps 1/2 cord in this home made solar structure...apparently it greatly sped up the process. Went looking for the aricle and could not find it.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

Had one customer this summer complain that the seasoned wood I brought was "ugly" because it was grey and weathered. :oops:

milleo likes this.
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Maybe you should be advertising your wood as being "Brand New!" "Fresh from the Forest!" "With that 'New Wood' Fragrance"
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Popular Woodworking did a similar article, for the purpose of drying lumber, not firewood. The guy got it to work, but I recall he had to fiddle with adjusting air flow a lot over the first couple of years, until he found just the right amount of airflow to provide the best drying in each season. Too much air flow and the greenhouse stays too cool; too little it gets too humid.
  7. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    I recall someone on this forum posting that their basement started to get moldy after they stored a lot of freshly split wood down there.
    Joful likes this.
  8. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    Are you mixing the Envi blocks with the splits? If not mix them.Try five splits to two or three envi blocks and let us know how that works for you.You'll use less envi blocks that way and you could have a good burn going on.
  9. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    I think the answer is clear. Stack the stuff on pallets that is too wet and find a supplier with dry wood. Pay more and get what you want/need now. Next year you can burn the stuff you just got delivered. If you can't find dry wood, reach out to this forum for someone willing to sell really good wood. If I were near you, I would offer to sell some wood to help you out. Most of the serious burners here have stockpiled wood that is truly seasoned. My stuff is 19% and burns awesome. Stacked over 2 years to get there. Where are you located?