Got smoke coming out of the door when you try to light your first fire? Candles to the rescue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
First fire of the season, you're all excited, ready to get some heat into the house. So you light a fire, and smoke immediately starts coming out! Prevent that, by first warming up your flue, say 30 min prior to making a fire, by lighting a couple of candles, and placing them in your stove. Leave the door slightly cracked.

This gets hot air going up, creating a draft upward. Otherwise, it's the opposite, cold air coming down your flue.

Someone gave me this tip a few years ago, been a lifesaver ever since, thought I'd share for the beginners :)

Happy Hearth Season everyone! :)

Edit to add: Of course this is to say you have your flue properly cleaned/wood seasoned/door gasket tight/etc.

And if at all possible, address the cause(s) of draft reversal to stop this.

I just get a quick hot fire going with cedar kindling and small pieces of wood. The next load is bigger and the load after that can be packed full usually.

I've used the candle trick when temps in the fall or spring are close to the outside temps and there is a reverse stack effect. I've also had good luck opening a nearby window a couple inches.

I just use the small split pieces of cedar. Warms that firebox up real quick. I am going to buy another bundle of cedar shingles today at Lowes.

Yeah I get that with my shoulder season burns on a cold stove, luckily my stove is right next to a sliding exterior door so I'll usually use a fan to blow any smoke right outside but lately I've been heating up the inside of the stove with a bernzomatic torch to get a draft going. I like the candle idea though.

Reactions: MagdalenaP
A good top down fire at startup helps me from a cold start. Some split pine kindling with a piece of Super Cedar on top of the smaller sized splits. I think the Super Cedar burns hot and fast probably warming the firebox/liner quickly.