Got taught another lesson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razerface

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
i got lazy. I felt the backflow down the chim,,,heard the geothermal running 3 feet behind me,,,,but like a dummy, i lit the fire with a torch. Of course the kindling and paper and cardboard caught immediatly!

The smoke was overwhelming in 45 seconds. I tried to stick the torch up the chim and get my draft going, but smoke was rolling straight out of the stove into my face and the paper fire was hot on my hand. I dumped my emergency bucket of water on top.

The whole house had smoke before i got the draft going. I am mad at myself.

We have all been there to some degree. Live and learn. Smart having a back up. For me I have a window very nearby and as soon as it's open the pressures regulate and up goes the smoke.

Reactions: MJFlores
Sounds like both situations might benefit from an OAK.

Reactions: SKIN052
No argument here begreen, stove is in the basement though with ice block foundation. Having a oak snakeing up the wall would not look good. I typically only have the issue on mild days when the stove is stone cold.

Reactions: jeepnerd
Just had this happen myself on the last mild, rainy day we had.
I had smoke coming out at me from the ash pan door.:( Had to really fight to get the fire going.

Lesson to self.... not worth messing with a fire on days like that. Let the heat pump do it's thing.

Reactions: Knots and Tenn Dave
I have an oak. My house is extremely tight,,,extremely. I know better then to start fires with that geo fan running. It pulls air down my chim. I just had a stupid moment and i think my oak may have to go fron 4 inch to 6

I'm perplexed why the Geo system is creating negative pressure. It should be neutral or slightly positive if it has fresh air make up. Most hvac systems are totally neutral. Our heat pump system comes on frequently at times when the stove is being loaded with no issues at all.

Yea, that could end very poorly if the Geo system kicks on at the end of a burn and pulls everything into the house !!!

i've had this happen to me once before. a trick i've learned on cold start ups is to place a small fan, like one of those doorway corner fans, under the back of the stove where the air intakes come in and let it run for 5-10 minutes or so. this warms up my cold flue enough so i don't have to worry about it not drafting. just make sure you remember to take the fan out when you start the fire ;em

I'm perplexed why the Geo system is creating negative pressure. It should be neutral or slightly positive if it has fresh air make up. Most hvac systems are totally neutral.

It only matters if i am starting a fire in a cold stove. While the fire is burning, i never have issues if the geo comes on to help when the fire gets low.

I always have to put a torch up the pipe and reverse the draft before i start the fire,,,usually very easy and almost instantly done as soon as i point the torch up the pipe. Yesterday, the draft coming down the chim was harder then normal, and there was a draft going OUT the oak/fresh air tube. I felt it, but assumed i would have no problems,,,like always. I had just put the stovepipe back up from sweeping the chim, so i was consious of all details,,,but didnt take it all seriously enough.

Well, the stove chimney had become the oak, and the oak had become the chimney. I did not make sure it reversed before i hit the fire pile with the monster torch. I assumed the heat from the torch would reverse the flow,,,like it always did before.

It was my big brush burning torch, so there was no hesitation on the fire starting. I wanted to play with the big torch, which was why i was using it instead of my little propane. It all was plain to see looking back,,,,,but you know,,,,,hindsight

i've had this happen to me once before. a trick i've learned on cold start ups is to place a small fan, like one of those doorway corner fans, under the back of the stove where the air intakes come in and let it run for 5-10 minutes or so. this warms up my cold flue enough so i don't have to worry about it not drafting. just make sure you remember to take the fan out when you start the fire ;em

Yep, that would reverse the flow. I'll try that next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.