Got the gas bill......YEE HAW!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bright spot in America's energy future is that we currently waste so much, that we could easily make a substantial decrease in our energy consumption without it affecting our way of life at all. Like Driz sez--shut off the damn lights and for Christ's sake, turn off the TV when nobody's in the room. Better yet--disconnect the cable and unplug the TV.

Eric, not the dish, never not again. After having cable in Ogdensburg since 1966 then going on my marathon of Army and even Denver which strangely had no cable till 1983 ( TALK ABOUT BACKWARDS) I came to your region. I managed to plunk myself on that tiny little spit of land where 86 and Bloomingdale road come together by the Adarondack Airport is. Potatoe fields on 2 sides and one owner, no houses 3 miles to bloomingdale on the other. I might have been back in Denver except for the constant carpet of black flys which I hear is your town bird over there. Nothing but channel 5 and 3 with crap reception on a couple UHF chanels. Wow talk about cave man and with all that snow. No wonder suicide is the regional sport. I am never givin up my cable unless you can pry my remote from my cold dead hands. I have a big screen tv and its stayin till they bury me in it. Mine being of the advanced design that they have always had in Europe has something none of yours don't. There is a little magic button on the front. It says off. How stupid that the companies that make this stuff can't be made to just put that magic button on there. Hell it only takes 7 or so seconds to come on. Then again the Chee Wee's wouldn't use it anyways. Thats just another example of how the governments line up to bend us over and when they have a chance to do something productive that involves big business all they do is smile and put their hand out.

Dylan said:
I, too, must agree with Michael that it has been warm, both day and night, in Connecticut, for about a week. BUT, I think he plays fast and loose with 'facts'. I am curious how it is that he is able to measure that it has been but ONE gallon of LP that he has consumed in that (whichever) time-span.

Nope, dat der is de truth! I can infatically state I have not used a spec of LP yet, I know, because the valve has been shut off since spring! I only have LP for the upstairs Master Bedroom (750sqf) Rest of the house has electric baseboard, which hasnt been turned on in over 4 years. (oh I can imagine the smell if I ever fire those up!) And my bagged coal (main heat supply) is still in tact, not so much as one bag even torn open! I do get a lot of sun (when its out) in and my house is probably better insulated that the average. The days it was 76 was with the sun. On the cloudy days, about 70-72.

Neighbors on both sides of me had a natural gas bill in the $170's and $180's for the past month, mine was $34. That included the gas for the hot water heater, the stove, the dryer, and the gas furnace in my garage. I keep it at mid 40 degrees when not in there and bump it up to mid 50's when working in there. I'm a happy man! It was the deal closer with my wife as well. At first she was not to excited about the insert, but now she is totally sold. KD

My oil tank is still sitting only a 1/4 full, right where it was at the end of last winter.

Our boiler hasn't come on once yet this fall, partly because the darn thing is shot and the new one hasn't been hooked up yet, but mainly because we've got all the heat we need right now coming out of our new insert.

pistonslap said:
I have to agree with Michael, I had a low gas bill but is has been warm for the fall so far. Last year I heated with wood for 15 to 18 hours a day and still got high gas bills. When I called the gas co. to inquire about it they wanted to send a guy out to check my house out. I do my own work and I know what I am doing I have no leaks, but I'd bet million dollars that if I let the gasman in the house he'd red tag something

Ask the gas company what size supply line you are being billed for. Check your meter reading to your bill reading. The gas company SEMCO Energy was charging me for a two inch supply line, I only have a one inch supply line. They double charged me for over 3 years, sent me a 1600.00 refund check only after i asked why so hi a bill? The computer drive by reader was re set / re-programed for a one inch line. I watch them closer now.

hmmm. Well I will have to see what my gas usage does. I used 13 ccf for october. That's less than last year and it averaged 5 degrees colder this year. November has seemed warm but was actually half a degree colder on average. our gas usage for november was 21 ccf which is more than last year for the same time period. Can't quite figure that one. I'll have to adjust the way I have the thermostat programmed. Guess I 'll have to wait and see. My wife likes to take scalding showers in the winter time. seriously hot...I can't take the water that hot. I have to young boys who I almost have to beat to get into the shower and a teenage daughter who takes LONG showers. She's been splitting and stacking a lot of wood lately and her report card was a 4.4 GPA....so I probly won't say too much.

I'd like to find out what my neighbors are paying for gas.

DavidV said:
hmmm. Well I will have to see what my gas usage does. I used 13 ccf for october. That's less than last year and it averaged 5 degrees colder this year. November has seemed warm but was actually half a degree colder on average. our gas usage for november was 21 ccf which is more than last year for the same time period. Can't quite figure that one. I'll have to adjust the way I have the thermostat programmed. Guess I 'll have to wait and see. My wife likes to take scalding showers in the winter time. seriously hot...I can't take the water that hot. I have to young boys who I almost have to beat to get into the shower and a teenage daughter who takes LONG showers. She's been splitting and stacking a lot of wood lately and her report card was a 4.4 GPA....so I probly won't say too much.

I'd like to find out what my neighbors are paying for gas.

How do you get a 4.4 gpa if an A is 4.0?

Maybe I'm showing my age here....

Nope not showing your age. 4 point scale for most classes but Honors classes, AP classes, and dual enrollment (local college) classes are worth 5 points. They call it weighted or un-weighted. Weighted, it's a 4.4. Not sure where it is unweighted. somewhere around a 3.8 or 3.9 I know that before this semester, her overall GPA was a weighted 4.3. I graduated high school with a 1.7 so daddy is very very proud.

Got the natural gas bill for oct 20-nov 17 ... $26.49 total ... $11.91 wirth of product (about1.25 MCF) + charges & tax.
So far so good. :)

Marty said:
Got the natural gas bill for oct 20-nov 17 ... $26.49 total ... $11.91 wirth of product (about1.25 MCF) + charges & tax.

Yeppers , Thats the thing i hate about NG , phone company ect.. You service or product is half of what the bill is. My NG is the same way Marty , $28. charge (hot water heater) for around $11.oo worth of product.

Roospike said:
Marty said:

Yeppers , Thats the thing i hate about NG , phone company ect.. You service or product is half of what the bill is. My NG is the same way Marty , $28. charge (hot water heater) for around $11.oo worth of product.

Why not go with an electric water heater, or better yet, a solar setup with electric backup?

...and turn off the NG.

Sandor said:
Roospike said:
Marty said:

Why not go with an electric water heater, or better yet, a solar setup with electric backup?

...and turn off the NG.

Well I'm half way there , I turned off the phone companys $75. a month bill and went with Vonage phone service that runs through the internet for $24.99 a month no limit long distance calling.

I guess if i get rid of the NG hot water heater the pipe would go too ?(that would be nice) The hot water heater is new and very high efficient so it would be hard to cover the savings of a new electric unit when i'm at under $30. a month now.

Winter electric bills run me $70. a month so i guess i cant groan too much. ( Summer is $90.-$129.)

Sandor said:
Roospike said:
Marty said:

...and turn off the NG.
Well I must admit my gas dryer has been broken this past month so we've been using the local laundrymat on the weekends and although I have an electric stove I would rather cook with gas... but the main reason for me is my furnace (now back-up heat source :) ) is only 9 years old and cost more than the Mansfield by a hair. NG does have a high reliability factor when compared with electric... over the comming years I do plan to look into weening off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.